Talk

Advanced search

Books about friendships for primary aged child

(7 Posts)
Ginmummy1 Wed 11-Oct-17 12:44:57

My DD (Y2, almost 7 years old) has just read The Pocket Dog, by Holly Webb. It’s a book about friendships, and while discussing the feelings of the characters through the book DD opened up about a friendship issue she’s been having with another girl in her class. DD felt the book really helped her to understand the other perspective, and would like to read some more books about friendships.

Can anyone suggest any other books exploring friendships, that might be suitable for an advanced reader for her age who doesn’t like overtly school-based stories and is not keen on reading about naughty children!

tiggersneverdie Sat 07-Apr-18 14:11:55

I remember a great book at that age called You Two by Jean Ure. Sadly, it is out of print but used online bookshops like Abebooks may carry it, or the childrens book shop at hay on wye website. Also Jean Ure's Peter High school series- modern (90s) stories about pre-teen girls' friendships at a day school.

tiggersneverdie Sat 07-Apr-18 14:14:15

Sorry, OP, just read that she not keen on school based stories, so scrub the ones I mentioned. Also noticed you say age 7, not year 7!!! blush Am sorry, am embarassing myself on this thread now- will back off.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Thu 12-Apr-18 03:55:01

Sleepovers by Jacqueline Wilson maybe? I don't often recommend her stuff "unread by parent" so to speak but having read that one myself it fits your criteria.

BlueChampagne Thu 12-Apr-18 11:11:27

Katie Morag stories might fit the bill, unless she feels too old for them?

brilliotic Thu 12-Apr-18 12:15:24

Recently read David Walliams' The Boy in a Dress with DS, very similar age to your DD.

The book is not 'about' friendships, but the boy in question (the one who likes to wear dresses) has an excellent friend. So much so that when we talked about the book our focus lay on what a good friend this other boy was, and how valuable it is to have friends like this, and how we ought to strive to be a good friend like that to our friends - how lovely it would be if by being such a good friend to someone, we could make a big positive difference to their lives, as this friend did in the book.

It's a boy-boy friendship though, so don't know if that will rock your boat!

Bitlost Sat 14-Apr-18 20:40:30

Roller Girl.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: