Talk

Advanced search

Book suggestions for a 9-10 year old?

(6 Posts)
OwlKiss Tue 10-Oct-17 12:34:43

Looking for something maybe a bit less well-known.

DC has previously read, (and enjoyed) things like the Famous Five. Currently absolutely absorbed by the Adventure books by Willard Price (bit dated, about catching wild animals for zoos).
Quite likes Just William.

Has read the first two Harry Potters, but was not especially enthused - not that keen on magic and fantasy.

Probably more preference for fact-based, animals, historical type stuff - but perhaps something to expand the horizons would be good.

chocolatelimesaredelicious Tue 10-Oct-17 12:39:22

My 9 year old DS loves the Bear Grylls books.
He loves both the "Adventure" ones aimed more at younger readers-Earthquake Challenge, Blizzard Challenge/Jungle challenge etc -
and his Mission Survival books for slightly older readers-Sands of the Scorpion is one, can't remember the others, but there are about 8.
If your son loves Willard Price, I'd hope these would be up his street as well!

OwlKiss Tue 10-Oct-17 13:43:19

Those sound ideal, Chocolatelimes, will definitely have a look, thank you!

Kingsclerelass Tue 10-Oct-17 14:01:09

What about My Family & Other Animals, and Birds Beasts & Relatives by Gerald Durrell? They've been around a long time, but my DS 9 loved them.

strawberrie Tue 10-Oct-17 14:08:41

Highly recommend Beetle Boy, by MG Leonard. It's an exciting adventure story which avoids the twee targeting at boys or girls which so many books have, and there's loads of cool beetle facts in it too.

One of the best written childrens' books I've read in ages, and we're now thoroughly into the sequel Beetle Queen!

CountFosco Tue 10-Oct-17 21:44:10

Little House on the Prairie books are fab, get online so they can see the photos of how the houses look now. Also, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit is a
a fictionalized account of the author's childhood as a refugee.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: