Talk

Advanced search

Books about Wolves

(24 Posts)
CountFosco Sat 07-Oct-17 07:33:06

DD1's (age 10) topic this term is 'Wolves'. They are reading 'The Wolves in the Walls' at school and I've taken the opportunity to read 'The Wolves of Willoughby Chase' with her but was wondering if anyone has any other good suggestions for novels with Wolves?

Tilapia Sat 07-Oct-17 07:36:16

How about the Romulus and Remus story? We have a book of Roman myths which has a kids’ version of this.

katienana Sat 07-Oct-17 07:36:20

The Wolf Brother series is really good.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sat 07-Oct-17 07:38:35

I was just about to say wolf Brother - it's amazing!

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 07-Oct-17 07:38:57

Game of Thrones!

Not really. ‘Clever Pokly and the Wolf’ is great.

That1950sMum Sat 07-Oct-17 07:39:45

Little Red Riding Hood!

I came on here to recommend the Wolf Brother series which my DD loves.

CountFosco Sat 07-Oct-17 10:14:43

Who wrote the Wolf Brother series?

Romulus and Remus is a good call, we have a book of Roman Myths. Already read Polly and the Stupid Wolf! grin

CountFosco Sat 07-Oct-17 11:41:14

Thanks for all your help. Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver looks fab. Went to the bookshop and they suggested White Fang by Jack London (how could I forget!), The Wolf Wilder by Katherine Rundell, The Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable, and Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk.

Paddington68 Sat 07-Oct-17 11:52:12

The Box of Delights

Taytotots Sat 07-Oct-17 12:50:58

Julie of the Wolves - Jean Craig head George. About an Inuit girl in Alaska who lives with a wolf pack after running away from home.

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 07-Oct-17 12:51:12

Wolf Wilder
There is an opening extract on love reading for kids.
It's very good and perfect for a gIrl that age.

CountFosco Sat 07-Oct-17 12:57:34

The Box of Delights

I'm saving this one for December smile

Liliywil Sun 08-Oct-17 16:58:50

How about White Fang by Jack London. Thats a nice one. Even Baree: The Story of a Wolf-Dog by James Oliver Curwood is also good for kids.

PurplePillowCase Sun 08-Oct-17 17:01:55

the jungle book? starts off with mowgli being raised by wolves.

nicholas evans 'the loop' (might be too grown up)

TalcAndTurnips Sun 08-Oct-17 17:06:36

Ashhead24 Sun 08-Oct-17 17:16:23

Wolf speaker - book 2 of Tamora Pierce The Immortals, excellent series if your DD likes fantasy books as well. Does say for 12+ so might be appropriate but might not? I was probably 10 or 11 when I first read it and loved it.

Witchend Sun 08-Oct-17 20:57:25

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe has wolves in.

My dbro had a book called Greyback about a half-wolf half-dog. I think it was a Sundays school prize.

There's wolves in some of the Little House books. If I'm remembering rightly, Little house on the Prairie and By the shores of Silver Lake.

starsorwater Sun 08-Oct-17 21:53:36

The Wolf Wilder, absolutely mesmerising book set in Russia by Katherine Rundell.

iseenodust Mon 09-Oct-17 10:15:51

Short tales Aesops fable - The Boy Who Cried Wolf
The original Grimm version of Little Red Riding Hood

CountFosco Tue 10-Oct-17 22:15:47

She loves fantasy so I'll investigate the age appropriateness of The Immortals.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was read a few weeks ago (as soon as she finished HP I started reading Narnia to her), we're on Voyage of the Dawn Treader now and she loves it.

We've read LHOTP a few years ago and she loves the series but stopped after Plum Creek because they were getting a bit more grown up. Worth revisiting though, I loved those books.

The Wolf Wilder I bought and she's started reading it and is enjoying it so thanks for all the recommendations!

Good call on Aesop as well, we've got a collection of those. And I've got an old copy of Grimms so will have a look through that as well.

Notrightnowww Fri 13-Oct-17 23:26:46

How about The Last Wolf by Michael Morpurgo?

KeiraTwiceKnightley Fri 13-Oct-17 23:31:52

Seconding White Fang. And how about listening to Peter and the Wolf on YouTube?

CountFosco Sat 14-Oct-17 22:17:36

Oh, we have a CD of Peter and the Wolf. Good call.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 17-Oct-17 15:04:39

There's a good one about a boy raised by wolves called The Boy Who Howled, can't remember the author.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now