Talk

Advanced search

Longer books for 4 year old

(7 Posts)
glorious Sun 24-Sep-17 13:33:05

My 4 year old DD really enjoys longer stories and we've recently read almost all of Road Dahl (not yet the witches or great glass elevator as too scary), all three Magic Faraway Tree and all three Wishing Chair. We've also read and liked Fortunately the Milk and the My naughty little sister series (though she picked up some continuity errors in that as it's more a collection of short stories, which irritated her!).

I'm trying some Dick King Smith next and I was thinking about Just William perhaps.

Any other ideas? Nothing too scary and language she can mostly understand (obviously I can explain things here and there but don't want to be doing it all the time). Preferably funny and a bit of fantasy.

janed9388 Sun 24-Sep-17 13:43:16

we also loved the Magic Faraway Tree and wishing chair books, we're now onto the secret mermaid series (Sue Mongredian) which is going down fairly well (although nothing beats the Magic Faraway Tree)

Ricekrispie22 Sun 24-Sep-17 16:33:21

I'd suggest the Mr Gum books, anything by Jeremy Strong, and the Pomgwiffy stories.

My niece of the same age is currently enjoying Milly Molly Mandy and the Tales of Brambly hedge, but these are collections of short stories.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 24-Sep-17 16:34:45

The Worst Witch!!!

Ricekrispie22 Sun 24-Sep-17 16:34:55

Ive just remembered The Borrowers.

Waddlelikeapenguin Sun 24-Sep-17 22:47:34

Kingdom of wrenley
Narnia
Wicket Chronicles

Also longer picture books- Apple pip princess, The Snow Dragon, princess knight

glorious Sun 24-Sep-17 22:56:53

Thanks for all the suggestions - lots to look at there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now