Talk

Advanced search

Female main character books for DS aged 7

(33 Posts)
BelindaBlinked Fri 22-Sep-17 14:31:16

Having a look through his books I've realised all his stories are about boys blush
Can anyone recommend some books with a lead female? Preferably challenging gender stereotypes. He's easily distracted so nothing too long or majorly wordy.

Peachyking000 Fri 22-Sep-17 14:35:22

Skulduggery Pleasant, Pippi Longstocking, some of the David Williams books too

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 22-Sep-17 14:39:09

My 7yo likes Olga da Polga and Clever Polly And The Stupid Wolf.

Witchend Fri 22-Sep-17 16:11:06

What sort of books does he currently enjoy?

I wouldn't worry too much: Girls tend read books about girls, boys read them about boys.
If you just pick a book because it has a girl as a main character and the subject doesn't interest him it'll just reinforce that he doesn't tend to find books about girls interesting.

BlueChampagne Fri 22-Sep-17 16:11:42

Katie Morag?

BlueChampagne Fri 22-Sep-17 16:12:11

Sophie and the Shadow Woods

SnarkyGorgon Fri 22-Sep-17 16:14:09

Super old school but the Demon Headmaster books

Ricekrispie22 Fri 22-Sep-17 16:49:24

Sophie from Dick King-Smith's six-book series (starting with Sophie's Snail) is the ultimate tomboy. She has pet woodlice and wants to become a farmer.
Nim's Island by Wendy Orr
Grace and Family by Mary Hoffman
Clarice Bean, That's Me by Lauren Child

schmalex Sat 23-Sep-17 10:47:35

How about Swashbuckle Lil (pirates), Penny Dreadful is a Magnet for Disaster (humour), Cakes in Space (adventure).

brilliotic Mon 25-Sep-17 13:14:54

Similar with my DS, also 7. Used to not mind either way but now has become resistant to 'girl books'. Sigh.

Before this happened, he liked e.g. 'The Secret Rescuers' series. Lots of adventure and mythical beast, just like in his beloved Beast Quest... what does it matter that the hero is actually a heroine? And is rescuing rather than defeating the beasts? Just a shame that the books are pink and sparkly.

He really enjoyed 'Little House on the Prairie'. But may be too wordy for yours. You could read it TO him though?

Very short and simple, but the Magic Treehouse series has a boy/girl combo; each has their strengths and specific characters which are not too gendered in an obvious way. The boy, though older, is cautious and wary; the girl is brave and outgoing.

I'm going to try DS on 'Ronja the Robber's daughter' one of these days. As there is a recent movie out, which looks fun; I'll apply our usual rule that he may only see the movie after having read the book, as an incentive.

I find 'classic' children's literature often has boy AND girl characters, and it is the group of them that are all equal 'lead' characters. E.g. Famous Five, Secret Seven, Magic Faraway Tree/Enchanted Wood; Five Children and It, Swallows and Amazons, ... However within their group, they have very stereotypical roles e.g. always the girls doing the cooking and mending and tidying, always the boys bearing responsibility and making major decisions.

In more modern books however I find that though there is perhaps less stereotyping of the characters, there is more stereotyping of the reader IYSWIM? Often there is either a male lead, possibly with a female sidekick (or a mixture of several sidekicks); or a female lead, possibly with a male sidekick. The books are a lot more marketed towards either boys OR girls, rather than at 'children', which can be seen by the covers, at a glance.

Not sure which I dislike more!

catbas Mon 25-Sep-17 13:21:15

I don't know what 7 year olds read but Rosie revere engineer or similar?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 25-Sep-17 13:22:40

'However within their group, they have very stereotypical roles e.g. always the girls doing the cooking and mending and tidying, always the boys bearing responsibility and making major decisions.'

Not in Swallows and Amazons!
The great thing about that series is that it has girls who do the domestic stuff (Susan), but it also has them in leadership roles (the Amazons, Daisy in Secret Water).

brilliotic Mon 25-Sep-17 13:41:04

Countess, yes I did wonder - do the Amazons (two girls) weigh up the Swallows (where John is the captain, and Susan does all the cooking and mending and washing up)?
We're only on the first book so I don't know about later ones. But the Amazons appear fairly late in the book, and I would say the girls can only take up male roles due to the absence of boys in their group.

Also, all the children that make up the Swallows are pretending to be explorers on a great adventure. Which means they are all pretending to be MALE explorers, because they cannot imagine female explorers (IIRC they discuss this somewhere early in the book). And yet, Susan is female enough to get the women's jobs, while John is excused from menial demands.

catkind Mon 25-Sep-17 13:48:54

Depends on tastes and reading level/stamina. DS (8) has recently enjoyed Ottoline, and The Worst Witch. Maybe on the young end for his age, DD(5) likes them too.
The Roman Mysteries is more grown up and has a mixed bag of girls and boys as central characters, which might work better for a boy reader - at that age I tended to find characters of my own sex easier to identify with.
Or how about A Series of Unfortunate Events? Similarly mixed characters.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 25-Sep-17 13:49:09

But once the Swallows and Amazons effectively merge, Nancy stays dominant.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 25-Sep-17 14:00:26

DS is 7 and his favourite books are by Reeves and McIntyre. Cakes in Space and Jinks & O'Hare Funfair Repair both have girl protagonists and Pugs of the Frozen North have a boy and a girl becoming friends and having an adventure together.

He's also keen on The Worst Witch.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 25-Sep-17 14:04:15

He might also like some of the graphic novels from The Phoenix comic. Pirates of Pangaea and Tamsin and the Deep are both very good.

Leeds2 Mon 25-Sep-17 16:46:41

Would second the Sophie and the Shadow Woods series by Linda Chapman.

Nuttynoo Mon 25-Sep-17 16:48:04

The worst witch

WhippetyStourie Tue 26-Sep-17 00:54:33

Hey Jack & Billie B Brown books. Hey Jack have a boy as main character but his best friend, Billie, a girl, is often featured. The Billie books have her as main but Jack often appears. They are short chapter books about school, sleepovers, camping in the garden, playing football. My daughters loved them around age 7 as they were the first 'proper' books they could read by themselves. And I loved them because I didn't have to read bastarding Rainbow Fairies any more.

Ivy and Bean books are fab with 2 strong girl characters. Lots of different adventures, challenges stereotypes subtly.

Clarice Bean, Ruby Redfort.
Matilda, The Magic Finger.
Emily Eyefinger ( detective).
The Worst Witch
EJ12, Girl Hero (secret agent).
Pippi Longstocking

HelpfulHermione Tue 26-Sep-17 01:03:37

Pippi Longstocking (also recommended up thread) she's a very independent. Very cheeky pirate girl who lives on her own.

Matilda
The secret garden
The Faraway Tree

PerspicaciaTick Tue 26-Sep-17 01:07:56

Artemis Fowl - two main characters, one a young boy with plans for world domination, the other a female cop with all the weapons and gadgetry (and she is a fairy).

Rainbowqueeen Tue 26-Sep-17 01:12:38

Emily eyefinger

brilliotic Tue 26-Sep-17 09:59:30

Also The BFG.

EmmanuelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Sep-17 22:52:43

How about the Ramona books by Beverley Cleary?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now