Talk

Advanced search

Book on suffragette movement.

(20 Posts)
BarchesterFlowers Tue 30-May-17 18:32:12

Can anyone recommend a book please for an 11 year old - strong reader, the only request so far for her 11th birthday present.

TVM.

YesILikeItToo Tue 30-May-17 18:34:43

Sally Heathcote: Suffragette by Mary Talbot

schmalex Tue 30-May-17 19:38:09

Sally Nicholls has a new one out about suffragettes, but not till September unfortunately!
www.penguin.co.uk/books/1113519/things-a-bright-girl-can-do/

BarchesterFlowers Wed 31-May-17 05:27:49

Thanks. Difficult age to buy for on this topic. I am not sure she will like the style of the Mary Talbot book, but have ordered it anyway as everything else I have found just seems a bit old content wise.

schmalex Wed 31-May-17 05:37:11

She might like this though?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/014198600X/

BarchesterFlowers Wed 31-May-17 06:07:06

That looks great but I think it might be a bit young for her. DD is in no doubt that women can do anything though!

Books read this month include things like Goodnight Mr Tom, Lucy Worsley's Eliza Rose and Victoria and 'I am Malala'.

I find it hard pitching it at the right level, fortunately half of the books read now come from the digital library.

WingMirrorSpider Wed 31-May-17 06:26:25

I remember reading A Question of Courage by Marjorie Darke at school. I must have been 12 or 13. I loved it at the time and it's really stuck with me.

BarchesterFlowers Wed 31-May-17 06:37:12

Thank you, I have just bought that too, for 1p 😳, no longer in print.

It must be a v good recommendation for her because when I put it in my Amazon basket I could see that DD has read all but two of the seven pages of books listed as 'those you might like'.

Leeds2 Thu 01-Jun-17 13:02:07

There is a book in the My Story series called Suffragette. I think it is by Carol Drinkwater.

BarchesterFlowers Fri 02-Jun-17 07:48:52

Thanks Leeds2, I had seen that one but thought it might be a bit young.

The Mary Talbot book arrived on Wednesday and it looks very good, more depth than I expected for an illustrated book.

Acornantics Fri 02-Jun-17 07:59:55

I love that your DD wants to read about the Suffragettes! I remember reading about them first when I was about her age, and it fuelled a lifetime fascination and interest in politics, and sparked a career path I hadn't before considered.

I can't remember the titles of the books I read (decades ago!) but I hope you find some great stuff for your DD to read.

Tylee Fri 02-Jun-17 14:53:09

Jacquline Wilson's Opal Plumstead features Suffragettes. So does Julie Hearn's Hazel, but only from a distance - the main character witnesses Emily Wilding Davison at the Derby, but never meets any actual Suffragettes Anna Carey's The Making of Mollie is a new one which I haven't read. Or you could give her an IOU for the Sally Nicholls.

The Mary Talbot is great and very well-researched - do just check the hunger strike section though as I remember it being rather graphic.

Tylee Fri 02-Jun-17 14:54:41

Oh, and Linda Newbery's Until We Win is a very short YA novel about Suffragettes.

mrssmiling Fri 02-Jun-17 16:45:18

I enjoyed this at the same age...'Miss Rivers and Miss Bridges' by Geraldine Symons - it was in Puffin paperback. Shocked at the second hand price though!
www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Miss-Rivers-Bridges-Geraldine-Symons/0027887405/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1496418111&sr=1-1&keywords=miss+rivers+and+miss+bridges&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Mooey89 Fri 02-Jun-17 16:49:17

I bought DSD 12 the Jacqueline Wilson one, she really liked it

BarchesterFlowers Sun 04-Jun-17 08:47:44

THanks again to everyone, she read the JW Opal P book when it came out, conveniently a couple of days before her 9th birthday 😁. I will look at the others.

Acornantics - DD has wanted to be a historian for the last five years, of course it will probably change. Just about to move up to secondary and has already identified the history, ancient Greeks, and philosophy after school clubs as things she is desperate to join. All I do is buy endless books, she reads a book most days in the hols (£££££). Our library is rubbish and just can't cater for her without ordering in and waiting three weeks.

Acornantics Sun 04-Jun-17 09:44:34

barchester we bought DSs Kindles for that very same reason, it was cheaper then keeping them in books! Plus they both like to read similar things so I figure the cost of any book is actually halved...smile

Sounds like her school will cater perfectly for her interests!

BarchesterFlowers Sun 04-Jun-17 12:58:49

I gave her my iPad mini and she uses the online library. North Yorkshire CC libraries have absolutely tons online - works a treat because she reads them so quickly and returns them that day!

We have just got home and A Question of Courage is here - she hasn't moved since 😂, fab but it doesn't help her to tidy up her very messy bedroom!

BarchesterFlowers Mon 05-Jun-17 09:34:41

wingmirrorspider, DD emerged at 9:55 last night and declared your recommendation 'absolutely amazing Mum'. Finished, I suppose I should be pleased but am secretly always slightly 😭, it generally takes me as long to find them as it does her to read them.

It was an ancient copy from Dundee Libraries, sold off for 20p and had that lovely old book smell.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 10-Jun-17 08:52:37

Back to say thanks to yes for the Mary Talbot recommendation. It was another hit, finished in 24hours though, so I am back on the never ending hunt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now