Talk

Advanced search

Short stories for y8

(5 Posts)
MsAwesomeDragon Thu 25-May-17 07:45:48

I'm going to be involved in a reading intervention with some y8 reluctant readers at work (I'm a teacher but not an English teacher).

I'm looking for some really great short stories that would engage them and maybe help them into a genre they enjoy. So a variety of genres would be good. I love a good supernatural story myself, but obviously don't just want to push them into my choices.

Any recommendations?

DoItTooJulia Thu 25-May-17 07:57:30

Not a short story, but there is a Twilight graphic novel-which could
Lead into the twilight series? Perfect for the age group, great story and if they get into it, there are what, 7 books in the actual series?

Michael Morpurgo would be another idea.

Again, not a short story but Artemis Fowl is a great read.

geogteach Thu 25-May-17 08:00:23

Ronald Dahl Lamb to the Slaughter

Creatureofthenight Thu 25-May-17 08:03:45

Have a look at Barrington Stoke books, they are all short and have a great range of genres. Made for dyslexic readers but they work well with reluctant readers too.

MsAwesomeDragon Thu 25-May-17 09:25:17

I'm sure I read Lamb to the Slaughter at a similar age, that's a good idea.

This group of kids have specifically said they want to read more but don't really know what they like and full novels put them off because they're too long.

So we've agreed on reading one short story each week, in a variety of genres so they can hopefully find something that appeals, then we can help them find similar (shortish) books in the library.

I'll look into Barrington Stokes books creature. They could be ideal if we've got a few in school, but we don't have much of a budget for buying new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now