Talk

Advanced search

Books set in Berlin

(11 Posts)
Melassa Thu 20-Apr-17 18:41:41

DD and I are going to Berlin soon for a short break. Can anyone suggest a book which is set in Berlin? Ideally with references of places we'd be likely to visit? I thought this would be a more enticing way of getting her immersed in the place rather than a simple tourist guide or brief history.

Melassa Thu 20-Apr-17 18:42:42

PS. DD is 12 and like adventure type books.

LIZS Thu 20-Apr-17 18:44:19

Emil and the Detectives

Cheesecake53 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:46:04

Erich Kästner's Emil and the Detectives springs to my mind.

Hassled Thu 20-Apr-17 18:49:13

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit starts in Berlin. But maybe not what she wants to read just before a visit.

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 20-Apr-17 19:43:41

The Silver Sword is about escape from Warsaw but getting to Berlin comes in to it. If you don't know it it is a brilliant adventure story to read to children set in WW2 ... I remember it vividly from my childhood and all my three enjoyed it... difficult issues do come up in the same way that e.g. They do with goodnight mr tom or the story of Anne frank but I would highly recommend it nonetheless

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 20-Apr-17 19:45:36

Ps ... sorry had absorbed her age as 10, she might prefer to read it to herself.... it is a good shared read though

Igneococcus Thu 20-Apr-17 20:00:59

Kaestner's Puenktchen und Anton is set in Berlin.
There is also a three part series "Rico, Oskar und die Tieferschatten", can't remember the other two titles which are more contemporary than Kaestner, don't know if they are translated though.

Melassa Thu 20-Apr-17 21:30:58

Emil and the detectives, I'd forgotten about that. Will look in the library tomorrow.

She's read Hitler stole pink rabbit and the diary of Anne Frank, but neither has enough Berlin references to draw her in. I like the sound of the Kaestner books, I will see if there are translations in either English or Italian in the local library. I did spot a fantasy series called simply Berlin with 1, 2, 3 etc., but she dismissed it as being a bit Hunger Games-y and wasn't terribly interested.

Melassa Thu 20-Apr-17 21:36:49

I wanted to get her the Silver Sword for her birthday, as I remember reading it myself. Fantastic book. I will see if I can find that too.

We wanted to do a trip to Sachsenhausen as she's currently reading The boy in striped pyjamas but I did want something that tied in ordinary life in Berlin as well. I can think of loads of adult books but nothing for children!

QuinionsRainbow Fri 21-Apr-17 11:12:01

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
and, I suspect, other Len Deighton books

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now