Talk

Advanced search

Books to read to older children

(7 Posts)
NellyTheElephant Wed 19-Apr-17 19:02:40

My daughters are 10 and 12. Both love reading and read extensively on their own.

However, they still enjoy me reading out-loud to them a couple of times a week and I try to choose books that they might not pick to read themselves at this stage. Recently I have read them Great Expectations, Jane Eyre and Watership Down.

I'm not sure what to go for next. Any ideas?? Many thanks

BlueChampagne Thu 20-Apr-17 13:12:43

Which did they enjoy most out of those three? What sort of books do they like to read for themselves?

I'm very impressed - Great Expectations must have taken forever at a couple of sessions a week!

mousymary Mon 24-Apr-17 11:52:23

I am just nearing the end of David Copperfield with the dcs. In fairness, they do Playstation or play a (silent) board game whilst I read. They have really enjoyed it.

They really enjoyed Animal Farm a while back. It's a brilliant book which can be appreciated on a variety of levels (and also gives the opportunity to do lots of "voices"!).

Oh, and dd and I have ploughed through the collected works of Noel Streatfeild. I lurrrrrrrrve Noel Streatfeild. So many truly awful entitled characters to complain about afterwards.

BlueChampagne Mon 24-Apr-17 13:48:21

Cider with Rosie?

purplegreen99 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:58:14

The Hobbit, Northern Lights, maybe some Jane Austen?

BlueChampagne Tue 25-Apr-17 10:33:13

Sherlock Holmes
PG Wodehouse

FreeArt Thu 11-May-17 10:03:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now