Talk

Advanced search

Does everyone have the hungry caterpillar?

(11 Posts)
CaulkheadNorth Sat 15-Apr-17 12:43:43

I've crocheted a hungry caterpillar hat for a friends baby. I've also made the a blanket. Should I get the book for them too, or do most people own it?
This baby is their third, others are 1 and 3, and I would imagine books are important in the home.

NoCapes Sat 15-Apr-17 12:45:03

Books are very important in our house, the kids have bookcases in their rooms and we have 2 full ones in the playroom ... But we don't have the hungry caterpillar

RedBugMug Sat 15-Apr-17 12:45:07

yes, it's the law grin

OlennasWimple Sat 15-Apr-17 12:47:13

there are "spin off" hungry caterpillar books you could get, like the counting one or the one with a finger puppet.

But are you concerned that they won't know who the Hungry Caterpillar is without receiving the book (in which case don't worry, they will!) or that your gift seems insubstantial without a book too (in which case don't worry, it sounds lovely!)

CaulkheadNorth Sat 15-Apr-17 12:53:40

That they won't know it. I'm pretty sure I'm over-thinking. I know I grew up with the book so tend to assume everyone else will also know it.

Thanks smile

SunFinished Sat 15-Apr-17 12:58:28

My dd has 2 copies, one small hardback and one bigger hard back that is a pop up book and she loves that one, it was a gift

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 15-Apr-17 13:04:53

My copy of the hungry caterpillar died yesterday sad. 1 of the older 3 dc decided to put it in the cot with their 22 month old brother, he's very good with books off the shelf but not when caged waiting for his breakfast apparently. 2.5 pages ripped out. I've already ordered another copy from Amazon. I'd give them the book as well, possibly the small board version, if they already have it that one can live in the car/changing bag.

Northgate Sat 15-Apr-17 13:05:38

We have a paper copy, 2 board book copies, a board book with built in finger puppet version, and an abridged mini version for clipping onto a pushchair. All gifts.

Plus both older DC have done the hungry caterpillar at nursery when the learning theme has been insects.

I would expect parents who feel books are important, and have 2 older DC, to be aware of the Hungry Caterpillar, even if they don't actually own a copy of the book.

gamerwidow Sat 15-Apr-17 13:08:34

We do and iwould expect most homes to have a copy. It's like the gruffalo in that way.

CaulkheadNorth Sat 15-Apr-17 13:12:15

I'll have a look in Foyles, I'd they have a cheap board version then I'll get it, but otherwise I'll leave it I think.

Tftpoo Sat 15-Apr-17 13:13:07

Between three children we have five Hungry Caterpillar or Hungry Caterpillar spin off books in our house (board book, two different languages, pram book and play book). I think if they have two children already they are very likely to have at least one copy and would definitely know what it was. However, I also think that it's nice for children in a family with more than one child to have their own copy of classics like VHC so I think it would make a good present, even if there are already copies in the house. Otherwise the youngest always gets hand-me-downs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now