Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What are your 7 year olds reading?

(30 Posts)
BigBrownSofa123 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:41:09

We're in a bit of a rut with ds and what he reads. He's got a couple of beast quests and some Roald Dahl but none of them grip him. He's still quite immature.

What could I get him that he might enjoy?

andonwego Mon 03-Apr-17 18:43:53

DS is six and loves a book we have that is a collection of stuff by Slike Milligan - poetry, short stories, etc. lots of silly, clever nonsense, very playful with language

BigBrownSofa123 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:51:58

Oh that sounds perfect, love Spike Milligan!

Leeds2 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:53:21

The Horrid Henry early readers are quite good, one chapter of a HH book with lots of colour illustrations, and large print.

The Jolley Rogers series by Jonny Duddle are a good read too.

EnglandKeepMyBones Mon 03-Apr-17 19:01:20

DD is currently working her way through the 'how to train your dragon' series

FeralBeryl Mon 03-Apr-17 19:54:45

We've just had the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series here which went down a treat grin

MsAwesomeDragon Mon 03-Apr-17 20:00:21

Dd is reading my little pony books hmm (they're actually not badly written, just a bit twee). She's also got the Winnie the witch chapter books, although each chapter is a different story really).
Horrid Henry went down well with dd, also Dirty Bertie made her laugh.

How about visiting a library and talking to a librarian? They might have some suggestions based on his interests.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:44:57

DD - Holly Webb kitten and puppy stories.
DS - Captain Underpants, but he needs lots of help with them.

They both love Enid Blyton, Paddington and Teddy Robinson for bedtime.

Sirzy Tue 04-Apr-17 22:45:42

Working through the David Williams books at the moment.

YesILikeItToo Tue 11-Apr-17 01:01:37

All about the Bullerby Children, by Astrid Lindgren. I think it has been republished as The Children of Noisy Village. Stories of the children's everyday lives, told from a heir perspective - but not so everyday for us, because they live in a Swedish farming village. Adventures like 'How we got home from school the day of the snowstorm'. Think there are sequels.

BigWeald Wed 19-Apr-17 11:20:48

Secret Agent Jack Stalwart
Astrosaurs
Tintin
Time Hunters

--> what he picked up at last library visit.

For reading together, we just finished 'Witch baby and me' and are in the middle of 'The little house on the prairie'.

BlueChampagne Tue 25-Apr-17 10:35:34

Just ordered DS2 "Beasts of Olympus"

SplitInfinitive Fri 28-Apr-17 07:12:58

DS is nearly 8 and we've recently enjoyed The Astounding Broccoli Boy by Frank Cottrell Boyce, the Circus Tales by Enid Blyton, David Walliams' novels (his favourite is The Demon Dentist). We're currently reading The Royal Rabbits of London by Santa & Simon Sebag Montefiore, which is shaping up rather well. Lined up after that is another Frank Cottrell Boyce novel Sputnik's Guide to Life on Earth.

Friolero Fri 28-Apr-17 07:19:17

My DS enjoyed the 13 Storey Treehouse series, they were quite easy to get into.

user1494149651 Sun 07-May-17 11:42:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

user1494149651 Sun 07-May-17 11:43:03

Bigbags Mon 08-May-17 21:33:57

My DS is 8 and he has loved diary of a wimpy kids series. It's the first set of books he has taken to and enjoyed. We have tried so many different kinds. He has read a few Tom gates and one david walliams book and said they are ok but not anywhere as funny as the wimpy kid ones.

BlueChampagne Tue 09-May-17 12:58:23

DS2 (7.5) has just started Spy Dog: Rocket Rider

Jennie1978 Tue 09-May-17 13:03:52

My son is 7 and he enjoys the Jeremy Strong books, Tom Gates and Roald Dahl. We've just bought him some David Walliam books too.

NennyNooNoo Tue 09-May-17 13:18:08

My nearly-7 year old still enjoys traditional fairy tales and Julia Donaldson books but also enjoys Roald Dahl and Michael Bond ( Paddington).

FreeArt Thu 11-May-17 10:00:47

Sj10 Fri 12-May-17 20:39:06

David walliams the worlds worst children is a book of short stories and is very popular in our house

Didiplanthis Wed 24-May-17 10:46:39

My dd is a very reluctant but able reader she is really enjoying Jill Tomlinson - the owl who was afraid of the dark series. I actually read them to her a while ago and now she is reading them for herself.

When DD was 7 it was just non fiction on subjects that interested her.

RiverTam Wed 24-May-17 10:54:07

Every Tom Gates you can shake a stick at
Ottoline

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now