Talk

Advanced search

13 year old boy - political or historical non fiction?

(19 Posts)
Sittinginthesun Thu 23-Mar-17 21:33:22

Any suggestions, please! He's not keen on fiction, but really getting a taste for political history, and spends hours reading the BBC news websites etc.

School have suggested that he finds books that interest him on this topic.

Pestilentialone Thu 23-Mar-17 21:36:08

Take him to library or bookshop and let him choose.

Witchend Thu 23-Mar-17 22:09:24

What about some autobiographies eg of Churchill?

Brighteyes27 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:11:58

Let him chose. My 13 year old avid reader has recently enjoyed the Cherub series and the Maze Runner books plus lots of others.

tissuesosoft Thu 23-Mar-17 22:12:53

Stephen E Ambrose books are fantastic.

RedBugMug Thu 23-Mar-17 22:14:36

michael mupurgo books?
it's fiction, but within historical context.

WoodPigeonInFlight Thu 23-Mar-17 22:16:48

Spike Milligan's war memoirs - Hitler, my part in his downfall, and rest of series

titchy Thu 23-Mar-17 22:18:33

Friends romans countrymen - Boris Johnson.

Sittinginthesun Thu 23-Mar-17 22:22:16

Thanks for the suggestions. We're always in the library/bookshops (I help run a school library), but he struggles to choose new books. Very keen on his comfort zone and gets quite panicked if confronted with a new author!

He is very good at English, so school have suggested this. He's not a fan of historical fiction, but the autobiography idea might appeal.

Singingforsanity Thu 23-Mar-17 22:54:42

How about some Owen Jones?

kelpeed Fri 24-Mar-17 00:52:02

hard to rule out historical fiction for that age but would bernard cornwall appeal?

mike duncan's podcasts might appeal. bit more hard core history

potatoscowls Fri 24-Mar-17 01:20:23

Bill Bryson's "At Home" is my desert island book.Historical rather than political, but a warm educational hug nevertheless.

Pestilentialone Fri 24-Mar-17 07:17:36

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. Then get books on the bits that interest him. If this does not get his curiosity going nothing will.

Sittinginthesun Fri 24-Mar-17 07:46:01

Will be ordering these from the library, and sending him to the school library with a list!

We had a fab parent's evening with his English teacher last night, so feeling inspired. smile

vixsatis Fri 24-Mar-17 07:50:05

George Orwell
Robert Harris

titchy Fri 24-Mar-17 09:20:59

Oh yes Animal Farm if he's aware of political extremes would be a good one.

BlueChampagne Fri 24-Mar-17 12:02:40

Different and bloodier politics with Robert Graves's "I Claudius" and "Claudius the God". Fictionalised I know, but might be factual enough.

mrsmortis Mon 27-Mar-17 12:31:10

Totally on another tangent - but how about Frank Herbert's Dune. It's a space opera all about politics. You might want to read it first (and maybe limit him to the first 3) to make sure you are OK with him reading it.

Or possibly Asimov's foundation books which are about the fall of an empire.

I'd read both of them by that age.

Sadik Mon 27-Mar-17 18:30:56

Has he read I am Malala - not historical, clearly, but might appeal (and very popular with that age group for obvious reasons)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now