Talk

Advanced search

Michael Morpurgo

(12 Posts)
OSETmum Mon 20-Mar-17 21:08:13

Ds (7) has just had Tom's Sausage Lion by Michael Morpurgo as his school reading book and absolutely loved it! He says it's his favourite ever book (and he's a big reader) and he couldn't put it down. He'd like to read some more Michael Morpurgo books but there looks to be a huge difference in length/ difficulty/ sensitivity of topics. Please can someone recommend one that he'd like to try next? Length and difficulty aren't as important as appropriateness of the subjects in the book. He'd like another animal one really.

sunbird17 Tue 21-Mar-17 11:45:40

'The Butterfly Lion' I think was the first Morpurgo book that I read when I was about that age.

OSETmum Tue 21-Mar-17 16:24:23

Thanks, I'm sure he'd like that with it being about a lion again!

Leeds2 Wed 22-Mar-17 19:24:52

Kaspar Prince of Cats might suit.

There is also Cool. which is about a boy in a coma whose dog comes into the hospital to visit him. Zola, the Chelsea footballer, also comes to visit him, which dates it a bit, but the story is still good.

Leeds2 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:10:49

Coincidentally, I happened to buy Billy the Kid from a charity shop this afternoon. Haven't read it yet, but judging by the type it would be suitable for 7 year olds. I saw from the blurb on the back that one of the character's dreams, before War broke out, was to play for Chelsea so I am guessing that Morpurgo is a Chelsea fan given my other recommendation!

OSETmum Thu 23-Mar-17 22:20:20

Thanks Leeds I'm sure he'd love the cat and the dog books! He hates football though so maybe not Billy the Kid! Good idea to look in the charity shops though.

Leeds2 Thu 23-Mar-17 23:03:13

There were lots of Morpurgos, and Beast Quests, in my Cancer Research shop today. Looked like someone had been clearing out their chid's collections. I am often in there because I buy for the school library where I volunteer.

almightygirl Thu 23-Mar-17 23:15:05

Just so you know, Billy the Kid actually touches on a lot of issues such as homelessness and alcoholism, family deaths and major injuries! Ds1 read it when he was in yr 4 and he could just about understand it and not be upset by it.

He might like The Butterfly Lion, Aldophus Tips, Mr Skip or Kaspar

Leeds2 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:00:24

Thanks for that warning, almightygirl!

almightygirl Fri 24-Mar-17 16:45:20

You're welcome! It is a good book, really opened ds1's eyes to the after-effects many soldiers suffered.

user1484715539 Thu 13-Apr-17 17:28:14

Hello,
There are plenty. My daughter was addicted to Michael Morpurgo.
Born to run, Running Wild, Elephant in the garden, Shadow

iseenodust Sat 15-Apr-17 17:53:34

Mudpuddle farm collection is lovely and does not feature death !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now