Talk

Advanced search

Autobiographies suitable for a 10/11 yr old

(11 Posts)
scrappydappydoo Fri 24-Feb-17 08:26:06

DD loves reading 'first person' stories and loves history - she devoured the 'my story' books. Liked Anne frank, loved 'I am malala' what can I recommend for her next?

DaffodilsAndCrocus Fri 24-Feb-17 20:54:51

Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr.

Blazedandconfused Fri 24-Feb-17 20:56:36

Has she read Roals Dahl- Boy? I read Peter Kay's autobiography on a plane once, remember it was pretty funny.

Blazedandconfused Fri 24-Feb-17 20:57:35

Sorry. I didn't read your post properly. Just read autobiography.

Is she a bit young for Angela's ashes?

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 24-Feb-17 21:01:11

Anything here?:

www.goodreads.com/list/show/61516.Autobiographies_for_Kids

DaffodilsAndCrocus Fri 24-Feb-17 21:01:51

About that age I read Emma and I by Sheila Hocken about a young girl dealing with going blind.

GlobalTechIndustries Fri 24-Feb-17 21:02:30

If she likes historical bios I'd recommend Leonardo da vinci, or bit more advanced the Borgias.

BigGreenOlives Fri 24-Feb-17 21:02:58

Clare Balding's My Animals and other Family and Gerald Durrell's My Family and other Animals (fictionalised but funny).

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 24-Feb-17 21:05:06

Maybe a couple here too:

www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2015/jul/06/malala-bear-grylls-autobiographies-for-children-and-teenagers

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 24-Feb-17 21:10:12

Second Emma and I, a lovely book. The James Herriot books are also good for this age.

MrsScrubbingbrush Mon 27-Feb-17 15:29:20

DD (11) loves the My Story books.

She also enjoyed Eliza Rose by Lucy Worsley (fictional diary of a young girl in Queen Elizabeth 1 court). She also has a similar style of book coming out next month called 'I am Victoria'.

How about ' Nelson Mandela: No easy walk to freedom' a biography by Barry Denenberg for children.

'Chinese Cinderella' by Adeline Yen Mah - children's version of Falling Leaves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now