Talk

Advanced search

Derek Landy - Huge Jump in Target Audience.

(9 Posts)
talksensetome Thu 16-Feb-17 09:35:09

So DS is 11 and over the last couple of years he has read the Skullduggery series. I read them all before him and they seemed fine, gradually getting older in terms of target audience.

So after reading 8 of his books I assumed he was a pretty safe author and bout ds the next series he did Demon Road.

DS has read them and enjoyed them and I thought I would have a read. First book fine no problem. Second book has references to getting high on weed, girls being dynamite in bed and now a man who strangles sluts and whores.

This is a bit of a leap from demons and magic!

Luckily I have quite an open relationship with DS and we have touched on some of this stuff before but it has still shocked me a bit.

So just a little warning, don't be complacent with checking your child's books BEFORE they read them. I suppose when your child has a reading ability beyond their age this is the challenge you come across. I would be more ok with DS reading it in a few years but maybe not at 11.

whataboutbob Sat 18-Feb-17 18:04:20

Thanks, DS13 is also big on Mr Landy and I had no idea it had this kind of content. I think i will ask to read his latest (American Monsters, borrowed at the library) and then discuss issues with him.

talksensetome Mon 20-Feb-17 12:02:55

The first of the trilogy isn't bad either, I think there is implied sex between Milo and a woman he meets but this second one has had me shocked a few times. It isn't the main point in the story but I just don't see the need to add stuff like that in. The demons and stuff is the focal point so he could have stuck with that.

SparrowandNightingale Tue 21-Feb-17 19:27:21

The Skullduggery books definitely get more adult by the end. I agree the Demon road Trilogy is far more grown up but I personally I find the sex and subject matter are equal with the rather graphic gore content.
I always suggest reading YA books first before giving to your child/ teen if only so you can up the doors to a few trickier conversations. You don't have to read the whole series. The first and last books should give you a good overview of a long series.

iseenodust Wed 22-Feb-17 10:02:01

Thanks for flagging this. Skullduggery was a huge favourite but will leave others for a bit older.

talksensetome Wed 22-Feb-17 12:08:15

Sparrow I totally agree and usually do read books first as he reads at a much older age. I just got complacent as I thought it was a safe author.
I am not too bothered that he has read them, just wish we had talked through the issues as he was reading the books. We had a conversation very recently about smoking and other drugs so he is aware of things like weed etc, I just didn't think he would have read about it yet.

SparrowandNightingale Wed 22-Feb-17 21:22:19

Darren Shan's Zom-B series caught me out. Well actually stupidly I asked DH if it was suitable for Ds2, 10 at the time, oh yes he said they are fine grrrr.

PopGoesTheWeaz Tue 28-Feb-17 21:40:32

Commonsense media provides a good overview of content in books that parents might want flagged.

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 10-Mar-17 12:25:15

Ive been to a few book readings with Derek Landy (he's really funny btw. Worth going if you get a chance) and his audience is really varied. Quite a lot of older teens (especially girls) as well as pre teens. I think his audience has grown up while he has been writing and his books have moved on too I think.

Darren Shan is similar I think. He has an adult trilogy too which I quite enjoyed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now