Talk

Advanced search

Chapter books with colour illustrations

(17 Posts)
Salumeria Wed 15-Feb-17 09:26:56

I am looking for recommendations.

DD is 5, and a good reader, but she is currently going through a phase of rejecting books that don't have colour pictures.

She has just read both the Worst Witch, and Pippi Longstocking, which we managed to find in big, colourful special editions, and she has also enjoyed several Usborne illustrated tales collections, and has dipped in and out of our illustrated children's Bible, but I am trying to find some more for her.

We have lots of books that are age appropriate, but she just says she doesn't like black and white hmm.

Ideally something not too big and heavy. Other people have suggested Harry Potter confused - I think she is far too young, and it is far too scary, and Winnie the Pooh - again, I think she is too young to really get the humour of it, but we might try it if we can't find anything else.

I don't want anything too scary or too sad either. The Worst Witch was perfect, but unfortunately only the first one seems to be available in colour.

NannyR Wed 15-Feb-17 09:31:54

Have you tried the Claude the dog books? You could take her to the local library and let her have a look, I know our library has a huge shelf of early reader type books that have colour illustrations.
Usborne do some nice hard back, colour, versions of simplified classic stories (like black beauty, wizard of oz, secret garden) with chapters.

Salumeria Wed 15-Feb-17 10:18:39

I haven't seen the Claude books, thanks, we will try those.
The usborne ones look to be in the same series as the ones she already has, but I am a bit wary of abridged versions of books.

We do go to the library, but have found things a bit hit and miss.

BlueChampagne Wed 15-Feb-17 12:22:01

DS2 was given a large format, generously illustrated copy of the BFG for Christmas.

Salumeria Wed 15-Feb-17 20:07:24

Ooh, I like the look of the colour Roald Dahl's... but we already have nearly all of them (dating from the 70s and 80s, belonging to DH). Maybe I will get her some of the new colour ones for her birthday.
Think the BFG would be too scary, but she might manage George's marvellous medicine. Actually, maybe all Dahl are a bit scary.

TheDowagerDuchessofDenver Wed 15-Feb-17 20:36:42

This series are wonderful - they include books by five children's laureates, and have colour pictures throughout.

www.barringtonstoke.co.uk/product-category/5-8s/

Orion Early Readers also have colour illustrations throughout, and come in three different reading levels.

So do Alan Albergh's Happy Family series, which are perfect for this level.

Lilaclily Wed 15-Feb-17 20:37:37

Horrid henry
Winnie the witch
Oliver Moon books

Salumeria Wed 15-Feb-17 21:54:15

Thanks DowagerDuchess those look excellent.
We do already have some Happy Families books, which she loves.

ejecoms Thu 02-Mar-17 13:17:58

I have just read 'They didn't teach that at worm school' with my 6 yr old which we both loved! It has pink as well as black and white illustrations...

The other ones we enjoyed were the Ahlberg series 'The Woman who won things', 'the man who wore all his clothes'.

Julia Donaldson has also written a couple of colour chapter books.

busymummy0411 Fri 03-Mar-17 22:05:30

My 5 year old has just read three books about Isadora Moon. Think the author is Harriet Muncaster. Julia Donaldson also does some.

DollyParsnip Thu 09-Mar-17 18:00:41

There are a series of books about a little Girl whose Granny is a witch by Tracey Corderoy - a couple are big picture books but there are about 5 which are chapter books (each chapter is it's own story). Each book has a different colour for it's illustrations and they are fab!

Think the first one is Hubble Bubble Granny Trouble smile

SavoyCabbage Thu 09-Mar-17 18:10:57

usborne.com/browse-books/catalogue/subject/1/YR/YRS1/young-reading-series-1/

I used the usbourne young reading series. They are fantastic.

IamFriedSpam Fri 10-Mar-17 20:25:20

The enchanted wood Enid Blyton!

GherkinsOnToast Sun 12-Mar-17 23:31:03

My DD is 6 and has just gone through all the Early Reader My Little Pony books and the Early Reader Rainbow Fairies books too.

Singingforsanity Mon 13-Mar-17 00:11:59

There are some Michael Morpurgo books for this age with colour illustrations, Animal Tales is one of them. Our local bookshop has a lovely section with sort of gift editions of books (often classics) so if you have one it's worth having a browse. The magic faraway tree was one of them which stood out.

BrassicaBabe Mon 13-Mar-17 00:18:02

Place marking. Thanks grin

Singingforsanity Wed 15-Mar-17 22:35:38

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery has beautiful coloured editions, as does Winnie the Pooh and also how about Asterix or Tin-Tin? Dr Seuss also has some colour in most editions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now