Talk

Advanced search

How does your child express their individuality? Tell us for a chance to win a £100 John Lewis voucher plus picture book Odd Dog Out

(239 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Jan-17 09:20:41

Rob Biddulph's beautiful new picture book Odd Dog Out is all about blazing a trail, and being who you are. To celebrate its publication, we're asking you to share how your mini superstars dare to be different.

It's a dog's life in the big city but one dog doesn't quite fit in. It's lonely being the odd dog out when all she wants to do is find her place in the world. She's willing to travel far on her quest, but it might take a different kind of journey for her to realise that maybe she's exactly where she needs to be.

A sublimely sunny and exquisitely illustrated tale about fitting in and standing out, from the award-winning and tremendously talented Rob Biddulph.

We'd love to hear how your little ones to express their individuality (and how you help them to do so) - whether it's insisting on wearing their favourite character costume 24/7 or only eating certain coloured food. For a chance to win a copy of Odd Dog Out and £100 voucher to spend at John Lewis, just tell us on this thread.

This discussion is sponsored by HarperCollins and will close at midday on 22 February

Books T&Cs apply

Rosehips Wed 25-Jan-17 14:55:23

mine always wore bonkers outfits to preschool. i was quite disapointed the day she decided to wear the (optional) uniform.

Trinidading3 Wed 25-Jan-17 17:51:51

Always insisted on filling up his Lego box with numbers 1-10 and going out with them on every trip whether to the local Tesco or day out, i have to say the general public were always very concerned and helpful when he consistently dropped them everywhere e.g on the bus, on the pavement , in the cafes, in the park etc. Once he dropped one in the park Fountain and a lovely old lady gave us her walking stick to fish it out !!! So glad he has grown out grown out of this now!!

boptanana Wed 25-Jan-17 20:08:12

My dd will insist on wearing 2 or 3 skirts on top of each other creating a tutu effect. I often don't have the energy to argue! grin

queenoftheschoolrun Thu 26-Jan-17 14:19:16

DD only drinks water. Whenever there's a party or she goes to tea with someone she has to make a special request for water instead of juice or cordial. I have high hopes of her when she's a teenager in the pub saying "I would like water please, I don't drink anything else!"

Emmad1977 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:23:37

My children both had quirky characteristics when younger. A son who wouldn't eat white foods and a daughter who preferred nakedness to clothes made for very interesting Preschool years!

LuxuryWoman2017 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:29:22

Oh yes, we went through nothing but a nappy and wellies for a while ☺

CopperPan Fri 27-Jan-17 22:22:55

Mine all have their individual quirks. DD went through a phase of only wearing purple, and DS2 decided in Year 2 that he would do all his writing upside down. Very glad that he grew out of that one!

1969angep Fri 27-Jan-17 23:14:04

My 5 year old is definitely quirky (probable autistic but high functioning) so mostly doesn't care about others and social conventions. We bought the book "Odd Bods" as it has any amazing range of quirky kids ( Duncan never trims his nails, Edie stinks like bins, Franklin is magnetic and picks up clips and pins! My personal favourite is Matilda who's sprung a leak lol) and reassures kids that no one is completely "normal" and that we're all individuals whose differences can be celebrated. It makes his instance on pizza not being too bendy or bagels too small when cut up seem quite small fry. I do wish he'd stop mixing up his he and she though, very embarrassing when he keeps referring to sweet old ladies as men 😂

FoxInABox Mon 30-Jan-17 15:26:04

My dd (age 9) dances like Kate bush- all wavering hands over the face and across the room, and funny legs. In a room full of street dance kids, she stands out but I love her for it smile

riverwell Mon 30-Jan-17 15:31:44

Cutting their hair one day so they had a really short bit sticking up at the front. I think she regretted it for the many years afterwards until it reached the length of the rest of her head!

BlackSusie2004 Mon 30-Jan-17 15:45:02

I do encourage individualism and enjoy the quirkiness of life, but unfortunately I seem to be on my own, I've got a couple of 'sheep' for children, probably rebelling against their quirky parent!

PenguinRoar Mon 30-Jan-17 15:52:42

My DS (5), writes and illustrates adventure stories about himself. They are lovely and very funny. Most days he's dressed as a knight, replete with crown, sword and shield.

agnapoop Mon 30-Jan-17 15:55:02

My daughter insists on trying things even if we've said no. She's found the answer in gymnastics as she's so eager to try new stuff.

foxessocks Mon 30-Jan-17 16:06:11

My dd is 3 and just wants to chat to everyone and anyone and asks them very strange questions! It can be a little embarrassing sometimes but I do love her confidence.

VioletRoar Mon 30-Jan-17 16:07:24

He wore largely only fancy dress until he was about 5.
someone told him pink was for girls, so he bought a pink bottle to prove a point. Often wears girls jeggings etc as prefers the fit.

gemmie797 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:07:50

My youngest son has always had a strong fashion sense! He likes to wear all sorts of wacky outfits and I love that he's happy with his individual style. My friends comment "only Charlie could carry that off" I hope he always pleases himself with how he dresses as he gets older

thesoupdragon44 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:09:33

My son has always been a little bit eccentric and used to all ways wear a smart shirt and a hat. He was known as hat boy at one point. He wears less now but has a favourite beanie which he will wear all weekend if he can get away with it.

NauticalDisaster Mon 30-Jan-17 16:13:49

My 5 yo DS has recently decided he doesn't want anything to match. So batman pj bottoms now get paired with a dinosaur top, a Captain America sock goes with a Hulk sock, and a Spider-Man underpants surely must get paired with a Dusty Crophopper vest.

It may make my eye twitch but he can choose what to wear and express himself however he sees fit... except for shorts when it's zero degrees out!

Mrsmonkeymoo1 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:13:49

My son is a little bit eccentric - is currently wanting to wear bow ties all the time. He also only will wear other clothes that have badges on them. He doesn't care what other kids think. If he could go to school in just his underpants and a bow tie - this would make perfect sense to him. I dread to think what the teachers faces would be like wink

kateandme Mon 30-Jan-17 16:20:34

she has a wicked cackle of a laugh.trys to hide it sometimes but when hse really allows herself to it comes and soars through our hearts.its beautiful

InvisibleKittenAttack Mon 30-Jan-17 16:24:46

Clothing will go in themes, themes rarely work well together...

The importance of wearing every fucking hair clip we own is something I don't get...

Wishonastar77 Mon 30-Jan-17 17:46:22

My 5 year old son doesn't follow the popular football teams. He is an avid fan of little old Watford FC and as such has brain washed his baby sister already. They love going to watch.

shadydelta Mon 30-Jan-17 17:52:14

My 6 year old son is very comical he goes everywhere wearing a hat. He has all different kinds and absolutely loves them. His favourite is a big blue fluffy monster hat that always seems to be with him. He also likes to sing while using the bathroom. He can complete a whole version of Dynamite by Taio Cruz before getting out while we all wait in a line with our legs crossed!!

Booklover123 Mon 30-Jan-17 17:55:35

One of my dd,s , when a baby/toddler used to adore a tin of skinless and boneless sardines in olive oil on a picnic!! The rest of the family would be chomping away on the usual cheese sandwiches and our little one would be chomping away on her sardines! Dare to be different! By the way , she detests sardines now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now