Talk

Advanced search

Help has anybody got any good ideas for getting rid of much loved children's books now my DC are teens?

(16 Posts)
GreenGinger2 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:19:22

Finding it really hard to do.sad

Also what is the easiest way to sell kids books? Might sell some,donate some. They seem too good to just charity shop.

TartYvette Sat 07-Jan-17 17:20:43

Your local library might appreciate them. Ask. Mine takes them with gratitude but not all do

TartYvette Sat 07-Jan-17 17:20:55

Or a local school

Ilovecaindingle Sat 07-Jan-17 17:22:12

Keep some for the gc?

lovelearning Sat 07-Jan-17 17:24:47

Keep some for the gc?

GreenGinger2

Don't get rid of them

Keep them for the grandchildren

Sadik Sat 07-Jan-17 17:25:20

Keep for potential future grandchildren? I've still got books of mine that my dps kept from when I was a child (a few older than that - including a very well loved Boys Own Paper annual from the late 19thC that was my grandads). They were a godsend when dd was younger in providing an endless supply of reading material - and I'll keep those still in readable condition plus a good selection of those dd has added.
Any I do get rid of (I appear to have owned every single Just William book ever written . . .) get offered first to friends with younger dc then charity shop if not wanted.

Sadik Sat 07-Jan-17 17:26:53

Don't just keep the classy ones though - I regret my lost Pullein-Thompson collection (and my dad at 82 still hasn't forgiven his DM for getting rid of all his Saint books before he managed to reclaim them!)

imip Sat 07-Jan-17 17:29:20

Yes, keep for grandchildren! My youngest is almost 5 and I needed to make space for books for the elder 3 dc. It was difficult but I kept quite a collection for the grandchildren and the older ones are now reading a lot of ebooks from the library, which will save space and money!

GreenGinger2 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:29:21

I've got 100s,would love to keep for grandchildren but our attic would collapse.

It's killing me though.

mytinselsinatangle Sat 07-Jan-17 17:36:36

We love books - I have kept their favourites (and a couple I loved!) but we have a local hospice that has a book sale once a year so I pass everything else to them or charity shop them. You could try bundles of books (same author) on Facebook sites as I've bought quite a few that way, good for collections like Tom Gates or Wimpy Kids.

AlmaMartyr Sat 07-Jan-17 17:38:46

I'll second donating to the library. A lot of libraries are desperate for stock.

Or a little free library (Google it)? I keep meaning to set one up to get rid of some of my books before the shelves collapse!

You could do an event for world book night and donate some through that.

GraciesMansion Sat 07-Jan-17 17:43:53

Ask a local primary if they would like them, I'm sure they'll bite your hand off.

AVeryBigHouse Sat 07-Jan-17 17:45:13

A school! Ours would be ridiculously grateful.

Bitlost Fri 13-Jan-17 22:14:37

Keep them!

Leeds2 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:35:58

I work as a library volunteer in a school library, and love any donations that come my way!

Bloodybridget Thu 26-Jan-17 15:22:04

I think you should have a very careful sort through and definitely keep a selection - books were so important to me as a child, I didn't own many as mostly used the library, but I wish I had kept those I had. You are probably doing this already and I do understand reasons of space etc. Could you have a cull of your own books to make some more room?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now