Talk

Advanced search

Classic novel for DS8

(8 Posts)
barefootcook Thu 29-Dec-16 23:35:10

For each birthday we always buy our son a hardback novel- usually by an English author. This year for his 8th birthday I have ordered Swallows and Amazons however it turns out that his grandfather has done the same thing. Does anyone have any good suggestions? The books so far have been The Wind in the Willows, Winnie the Pooh etc. Am looking for something that I can read to him- perhaps with a few illustrations- that does not have pages and pages of description!

Witchend Thu 29-Dec-16 23:52:07

Ds loved
"Mystery At Witchend" by Malcolm Saville at 8yo. Probably one of his favourite books of all time.
Other suggestions would be Biggles, Jennings at School Just William, Famous Five, Cue for Treason, Little House (ds particularly enjoyed Farmer Boy) series.
All ones he loved at that age (and still does)

fruitpastille Fri 30-Dec-16 00:01:31

Narnia books, the Hobbit, Roald Dahl/Harry Potter if not too modern...

Famous 5, the borrowers, green knowe, turbulent term of tyke tyler, for other random choices!

Allalonenow Fri 30-Dec-16 00:12:06

Treasure Island
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Secret Garden

Anything by E. Nesbit

Parkourbench Fri 30-Dec-16 00:24:14

Narnia is perfect for this age.

PlymouthMaid1 Fri 30-Dec-16 00:26:30

Treasure Island. Harry Potter series as a modern classic.

hambo Fri 30-Dec-16 00:28:56

There is a beautiful hard edition of the borrower's in Waterstones at the moment. My son loved ' coral island'. A real adventure book. The black stallion is another great book.

SenseiWoo Fri 30-Dec-16 00:31:12

John Masefield's 'The Box of Delights' and 'The Midnight Folk'?

Moonfleet

Moondial by Helen Cresswell

Tom's Midnight Garden

Emil and the Detectives

The Iron Man by Ted Hughes

The Sword in the Stone

The Little Grey Men by 'BB'

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now