Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend free / cheap children's books for Kindle?

(23 Posts)
TheLongRoadToXmas Sun 25-Dec-16 19:09:56

I've got two excited children with new kindles for Christmas, and I don't want to spend £££ downloading books they'll whizz through. I'd be so grateful for recommendations for cheap / free books that will suit:

Dd1 - loves Arthur Ransome, Chalet School, Percy Jackson etc. Has read a lot of the classics like Anne of Green Gables etc but will happily re-read.

Dd2 - currently fixated on Rainbow Fairies, but also likes Dick King-Smith, Mr Gum books, Roald Dahl, Mr Majeka etc.

HSMMaCM Sun 25-Dec-16 19:23:08

Google free kindle books. There's loads of them.

HSMMaCM Sun 25-Dec-16 19:24:45

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nbsbb_sscc_1_5/254-3078762-1662350?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=free+kindle+books&sprefix=Free+%2Cdigital-text%2C329&crid=259PDQBONJMVA

HSMMaCM Sun 25-Dec-16 19:26:17

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=isss_ssii_0155_aps?k=free+childrens+kindle+books&rh=i%3Aaps&sprefix=free+childrens+

For Childrens

TheLongRoadToXmas Sun 25-Dec-16 19:27:59

I did that search, but as you say there are lots. I was looking for specific recommendations as otherwise it's easy to get something that's not age appropriate, too American etc.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sun 25-Dec-16 19:29:18

DD1 - Ballet Shoes / What Katy Did / Daddy Long Legs / Pollyanna

AlmostNQT Sun 25-Dec-16 19:30:51

I've just signed up for Kindle Unlimited smile £7.99 a month and you can download and read most books from the kindle store!

hugoagogo Sun 25-Dec-16 19:41:29

If they are not just basic kindles you can download overdrive and borrow library books on them which of course are free.fgrin

has your youngest read any Jeremy Strong? They are great for about that age- (I am guessing 7 ish?)
How old is your older dd? What about Lemony Snicket?

TheLongRoadToXmas Sun 25-Dec-16 19:42:33

Remus Brilliant, she's read those but will happily re-read. I was looking for exactly that sort of thing.

Almost I'll have a think about Kindle Unlimited, but I need to work out whether it covers the sort of things they want to read first. And whether we can get the equivalent from the library, I've seen posters up in there saying something about borrowing e-books.

TheLongRoadToXmas Sun 25-Dec-16 19:46:42

hugo They're just the basic kindles. Dd2 is 5, and she does like Jeremy Strong but I hadn't spotted any free ones, I'll have a look now. Dd1 is 8, she's got the Lemony Snicket series in paper copy already, but it would be a good one to download for re-reading. Issue with both of them is that I can't just download stuff, I need to check that it's age appropriate because what they can read is not always what they're emotionally mature enough to read. We got them kindles because they get through so many books we've run out of shelf space and going on holiday was getting silly in terms of packing enough books. to keep them going.

hugoagogo Sun 25-Dec-16 19:59:38

I have been there with 9 year olds with 14 year old reading skills! It can be tricky.
I am no good for offering advice on cheap kindle books though, so I will leave you to it.

Sadik Mon 26-Dec-16 08:54:09

What about the complete Wizard of Oz collection for your older dd? They go downhill a bit as the series goes on IIRC, but still, at 99p for the whole lot you can't really complain.

Sadik Mon 26-Dec-16 08:56:54

Also if she likes Anne of Green Gables and hasn't read it, the Emily of New Moon trilogy by the same author is only 96p.

TheLongRoadToXmas Mon 26-Dec-16 09:00:18

Sadik We've got the full Wizard of Oz set (one massive book) but Emily of New Moon is spot on, I'll get it right now. Thanks! Also, I like your username grin

Sadik Mon 26-Dec-16 09:39:37

Thank-you smile
I've thought of another few if she's not read them - Frances Hodgson Burnett - A Little Princess / The Secret Garden / Little Lord Fauntleroy.
Also E Nesbit (most of them available for free), and this set looks quite fun.
For your younger dd, what about Secret Seven - they look to be about £1.99 each.

LittleBlueShoes Mon 26-Dec-16 09:46:14

My son is age nine and loved the chronicles if Benjamin dragon (they will come up if you type Benjamin Dragon into Amazon kindle books section. I got the first book free and then paid for books 2 and 3. He loves them.

TheLongRoadToXmas Mon 26-Dec-16 14:07:37

Sadik Dd1's read some Frances Hodgson Burnett but not all, I think. I need to check. And we've got the complete E Nesbit set, too. That Girl Detective one you linked to looks great, should keep her going for a while! I'll see if dd2 wants Secret Seven, I know she's read The Naughtiest Girl in the School and Famous Five, but not sure if she's read any Secret Seven, that's a good idea.

Little I'll have a look, thanks.

Teaandadunk Tue 31-Jan-17 20:33:27

If you are still looking there is a new book out on kindle called Copy Cat by T. J. Healy. It is great for girls reading beyond their age looking for a grown up feel to a book that is still age appropriate. I struggled to find any for my daughter that didn't have all the YA romance stuff. It's part one of a trilogy so should keep them going.

buckeejit Tue 31-Jan-17 21:11:28

Ooh this is interesting-my ds-7 is a great reader so may try some of these. His grandad bought him a national geographic kids subscription-1st one arrived yest & he loves it. They do a 'virtual' version I think so magazine subscriptions are another idea!

christinamac79 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:53:54

Hi, I’ve published two children’s books and am offering them free until Tues, 7 Feb, midnight.

Just go to the links below and download for free. All I ask is that you’ll give me an honest review on Amazon. smile

Amazon.co.uk (UK)
No One Quite Like Me - Amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUJ2AJL
Zoe Zebra Loses Her Z – Amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZG6INI

I hope you enjoy! And if you do, please fee free to share on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Thank you! smile

mrsmortis Tue 07-Feb-17 15:10:30

Have a look at Project Gutenburg (https://www.gutenberg.org/). The have loads of e-books all of which are out of copyright. So you can have Alice in Wonderland, Sherlock Holmes, all the Oz books, Edith Nesbit, Little Women, The Secret Garden etc.

I

imip Tue 07-Feb-17 15:15:01

As someone mentioned above, you need to look at overdrive. Most libraries subscribe and it is basically the library online context, which far exceeds the offering our local inner London library has!

Dd is currently reading swallows and amazing and is slowly making progress through the sled rider series. Lots of great new releases and it will save you loads of money. Google overdrive and you should see it!

halcyondays Thu 09-Feb-17 08:27:25

Yes, Overdrive is very good. Get the free trial of Kindle Unlimited but prob not worth signing up to.

Amazon has a half term kindle sale at the mo, lots of good books for kids/teens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now