Talk

Advanced search

The classics for kids

(20 Posts)
Icequeen1 Sun 04-Dec-16 10:32:04

Hi all, I'm trying to "break" my low into the classics and slowly steer her away from the "light reading" books, but I'm met with resistance to any suggestions. Heidi, Railway children, wuthering heights etc all rejected. Would love some ideas on how you overcame this hurdle in terms of first books you've tried that were a success with your child and also whether audio books might be a better starting point. lol is 10 years. Thanks.

Artandco Sun 04-Dec-16 10:35:06

My 6 year old is reading toms midnight garden which he likes

LuckySantangelo1 Sun 04-Dec-16 10:36:49

The Secret Garden.
Anne of Greene Gables.
What Katy Did.
Anything by Arthur Ransome ('swallows and amazons', 'we didn't mean to go to sea' etc).

Artandco Sun 04-Dec-16 10:41:16

Oh yes the secret garden they love

Also:
The jungle book
Swiss family Robinson
Five children and it
Doctor dolitttle
Danny champion of the world
Oliver Twist
The borrowers

albertcampionscat Sun 04-Dec-16 10:53:52

Hmmm. I wonder if the very fact you are trying is the problem. Children can be awkward blighters that way. How about buying all of the above (and Velveteen Rabbit, Charlotte's Web, Alice in Wonderland, Minnow on the Say, Wolves of Whilloughby Chase, Oliver Twist, Thirteen Clocks, Phantom Tollbooth, Hobbit, Lion Witch and Wardrobe...) and then Not Drawing Attention to them, or even better saying she can read them, but only if she is very careful not to damage them, because these are special books?

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 04-Dec-16 11:01:39

She doesn't have to read classics if she doesn't want to. We all have different tastes. Enjoying reading is the main thing so what are her interests? My dd loves heidi, secret garden, Anne and so on but my ds doesn't but has been reading the hobbit, Lord of the rings, goodnight mr Tom and stuff like that. Just go the library and browse or sit together and set up a wish its on Amazon, buy a few books at a time so there are always a few unread ones on the shelf.

Icequeen1 Sun 04-Dec-16 11:25:02

Ahhh, suggestions already, lovely, thanks. I'm feeling quite pressurised as a parent by the powers that be (school and tutor) to get her to read the classics now and yes, albertcampionscat, I've been harping on about it too much, that's probably why she is being an awkward blighter! Lol! I'm liking your suggestion, IAmApaleontologist, of a few books for her to choose from the library, although I think I may incur overdue fines before she decides to read them. Had a look at at some of your suggestions, which I hadn't thought of, Borrowers, Secret Garden. They're really nice, anymore suggestions or ideas, please keep them coming, as I'll probably buy a few for Christmas for her and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks all.

WalterWhitesNipple Sun 04-Dec-16 11:37:38

Harry Potter!

BlueChampagne Fri 09-Dec-16 21:25:06

DS1 will often pick up the book after wallowing in the audio book. Make her feel grown up by reading some classics?

How classic is classic? Sherlock Holmes? Narnia? Hitchhiker's Guide? Black Beauty? The Little Princess? A Christmas Carol? Carrie's War?

If you can tell us what she likes, we can tailor suggestions.

beatricequimby Fri 09-Dec-16 21:31:30

A lot of classics have a slow start. Ones that really draw you in from pg one might go down better. I think these get into the story quite quickly

A Little Princess
What Katy Did
Nancy and Plum

Or try modern classics

Roll of Thunder, Heatme Cry (very sad but mine read it aged ten and it is totally gripping)
A Wrinkle in Time
When Marnie Was There
The Dark is Rising

DodoRevival Fri 09-Dec-16 21:35:57

Let her read what she wants. No better way to put a child off reading that making them read anything.

Saying that I read my Tom's Midnight Garden which was mentioned up thread and they loved it. I'd also suggest you read to her

Carrie's War
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
Charlotte's Web
Stig of the Dumb

She can read (if she wants) Roald Dahl, David Williams, the Harry Potter books. The House of Secrets books has been a huge hit with any child I've know try it.

Yamadori Fri 09-Dec-16 22:45:22

101 Dalmatians

littlepinkgiraffe Fri 09-Dec-16 22:48:19

Not exactly 'classics' but when I was that age it was the Jacqueline Wilson books that made me fall in love with reading.

Also Harry Potter (which I still read now and must have done about 25+ times now)

ALittleMop Fri 09-Dec-16 22:54:39

wuthering heights for a 10 year old? really?

why so keen on "classics"?

surely good writing, good stories more important. If its just a steer away from The Wimpy Kid etc then - Phillip Pulman, Neil Gaiman etc

Is this about 11+ etc?

ALittleMop Fri 09-Dec-16 22:59:41

If you are after good use of language, good literature, good content, I would not take "classics" too seriously - see here:eleven plus list of good books for that age
(terrifying forum but some useful info amongst the hysteria)

Alonglongway Fri 09-Dec-16 23:23:54

Audio books were great for my 2 - definitely worth a shot.

But I'm not sure about pushing them towards a particular genre. They follow their own paths. DD1 read classics at 10 and now at 19 is a somewhat geeky technical video student and rarely reads books. DD2 never read classics, was obsessed with all the dystopian young adult novels and is doing a English Lit A level and hoovering up the reading list.

Redsrule Wed 18-Jan-17 21:38:20

At 11 Wuthering Heights is tedious; at 14, and full of angst, it is glorious!

nurseinwonderland Wed 18-Jan-17 21:45:00

I pick books I always fancied reading/ rereading and read them to DS.
Started with the Faraway Tree books, Harry Potter, Wind in the Willows, Carrie's War, Maze Runner, Hunger Games.
Good for bonding time away from younger DS and he could discuss any words or situations he was unsure of.
He's read lots of modern classics in school eg Michael Morpurgo, The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas.

christinarossetti Sun 22-Jan-17 22:05:45

Read them to her? I really enjoy reading or re-reading 'classic' books to my 10 year old.

In addition to above,
Little House on the Prairie series
Anne of Green Gables
Jane Eyre
Five Children and It

user1485342611 Thu 26-Jan-17 13:48:35

Have you tried Ballet Shoes? That is generally regarded as a children's classic nowadays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now