What did kids read in the 70s and 80s?

(132 Posts)
KnitMeAUnicorn Mon 31-Oct-16 07:48:58

Just that, really! It feels like all I can see in the shops these days is the constant Tom Gates/Harry Potter/David Walliams/Wimpy Kid stuff. DC have read loads of that and I want something a bit more 'classic for their Xmas. (12yo DS & 10yo DD). Any thoughts/ memories of what you liked reading back then? Ta smile

mylittlephoney Mon 31-Oct-16 07:50:17

At 12 it was all Judy Blume. Sweet valley high and S E Hinton for me.

nothruroad Mon 31-Oct-16 07:51:55

I loved Enid Blyton, Anne of Green Gables, What Katy Did.

Hufflepuffin Mon 31-Oct-16 07:53:20

Swallows and amazons (peter duck is the most daring and might be a good place to start for a 12yo boy), heidi, Anne of green gables, the saddle club, babysitters club (can you tell i loved books that came in series lol).

Narnian Mon 31-Oct-16 07:53:27

I loved Enid Blyton. And when I was older, the same as mylittlephoney.

spacefrog35 Mon 31-Oct-16 07:54:18

Judy Blume, Enid Blyton & things like Anne of Green Gables, Pollyanna, Little Women, Black Beauty & The Railway Children. I also started reading Tolkien around that age. Is DS old enough for Terry Prachett's discworld?

BonusNewt Mon 31-Oct-16 07:54:58

Oh so much. At that age I loved Diana Wynne Jones (Chrestomanci series), Noel Streatfeild (Ballet Shoes etc), E Nesbit (Enchanted Castle), Frances Hodgson Burnett (A Little Princess), Elizabeth Enright (The Saturdays etc), Alan Garner (Owl Service etc), Nicholas Fisk (Grinny, Trillions), Joan Aiken (Wolves of Willougby Chase)...

hesterton Mon 31-Oct-16 07:55:52

In 70s - Pippi Longstocking, Mrs Pepperpot, Carrie's War, lots of Enid Blyton, Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf, My Naughty Little Sister, endless pony books. And all the usual Classics such as Little Princess, Secret Garden, Heidi, What Katy Did, Anne of Green Gables etc.

In 80s - Goosebumps, Animals of Farthing Woods, Sweet Valley High

bigTillyMint Mon 31-Oct-16 07:55:59

I read Enid Blyton, Noel Streatfeild, Anne of Green Gables, What Katy did, Little House on the Prairie and hundreds more!

As a teen in the late 70's/80's I read Lynne Reid Banks amongst others.

There are good lists of classic books though these might not be the ones they want to read

girlwithamoonandstaronherhead Mon 31-Oct-16 07:57:02

Judy blume, sweet valley high,but also the little women books by Louisa m alcott which were lovely. And by 12 I was reading a lot of adult books that my mum and sister left lying around, but I wouldn't recommend that (I learnt A LOT from the Virginia Andrews books).

Cousinit Mon 31-Oct-16 07:57:12

I loved all the Enid Blyton books: Famous Five, Mallory Towers, St Clair's. Other favourites were The Secret Garden, The Railway Children and Pollyanna, Chronicles of Narnia. Also books by Noel Streatfield and Roald Dahl (although he is stil as popular as ever!)

RatImpaledOnnaStake Mon 31-Oct-16 07:57:12

Chalet School, Malory Towers, St Clares, , Trebizon... there's a recurring theme for me.

Other than that, by about 12 (mid-late 80s) I gravitated towards Terry Pratchett, Tolkien, any Enid Blyton, Peter Pan, Jules Verne. Basically anything either science fiction or fantasy. I didn't much enjoy books about modern things. I liked to be able to lose myself in a different world.

Cousinit Mon 31-Oct-16 07:58:30

Oh yes, how could I forget Judy Blume?! I LOVED her books.

NigellasGuest Mon 31-Oct-16 07:58:53

I loved Carrie's War - your DD might like that. Can't remember who wrote it but it's about an evacuee in WW2. Also The Little Broomstick about witches- all just so well written

YokoUhOh Mon 31-Oct-16 07:59:03

Brian Jacques (Redwall series), Michelle Magorian (BackHome, Goodnight Mr Tom), Philippa Pearce (Tom's Midnight Garden). And I was obsessed with books about boarding schools, so Trebizon series etc.

YokoUhOh Mon 31-Oct-16 08:00:09

Sorry x-post rat grin

NigellasGuest Mon 31-Oct-16 08:00:27

Actually by 12 I think I was also into Daphne du Maurier - My Cousin Rachel was the first of hers I read and I was hooked 70's child btw)

Ffswtf Mon 31-Oct-16 08:00:56

Yep a LOT of Enid Blyton, then Judy Blume and Sweet Valley High. Then Virginia Andrews in later teens confusedhmm

Twoevils Mon 31-Oct-16 08:02:47

Swallows and Amazons
Black Beauty
Treasure Island
Anne of Green Gables
Little House on the Prarie
Heidi
Narnia
Little Women
Lord of the Rings/Hobbit
Terry Pratchett

So many amazing classics, I've forgotten loads. As a child I haunted the library and read a great many inappropriate books, but it didn't do me any harm. I loved any kind of science fiction from an early age.

Soapalert Mon 31-Oct-16 08:05:07

Worst witch
Mr Majekeka the music teacher
The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark
Ramona Quimby
Biff and chip stories
Mrs Pepperpot

NCISfan Mon 31-Oct-16 08:06:44

Mallory Towers, Famous Five, Chalet School, Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Heidi, What Katy Did

mylittlephoney Mon 31-Oct-16 08:08:58

Ooohhh forgot Virginia Andrews and Enid Blyton. Also went through the classics but 're read those Authors several times (still do with certain books now)

LadybirdsAreFab Mon 31-Oct-16 08:09:40

I loved Enid Blyton and read them all. Our English teacher hated her books and wrote to our parents telling them to ban us from reading any of her books. My parents were of the opinion of I was reading all was good.

Eolian Mon 31-Oct-16 08:11:50

Susan Cooper (especially the 'Dark Is Rising' series), Alan Garner, Tolkien, Narnia), I also loved 'A Wrinkle In Time' (by Madeleine L'Engle, I think ). I liked mostly fantasy really - couldn't be doing with any of that young teen stuff.

janaus Mon 31-Oct-16 08:13:19

My kids loved Baby Sitters Club and Goosebumps.
I loved Enid Blyton.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now