Talk

Advanced search

Books for 9 year old boy

(17 Posts)
neonrainbow Sun 30-Oct-16 17:42:29

Can anyone tell me what their 8-10 year old boys enjoy reading? The 9yo in question is a bit of a reluctant reader and has never really got into a book... he reads stuff like horrid henry which is fine but i think he might enjoy it more if he could get into a proper story. I think he's a bit young to try harry potter but was wondering about the percy jackson series? Any others i should look at?

megletthesecond Sun 30-Oct-16 17:44:08

Tom Gates books. My dc's plough through them and they make me laugh too.

Friolero Sun 30-Oct-16 17:45:19

Any of the David Walliams books?
Or the 13 Storey Treehouse series is good for reluctant readers.

mylaptopismylapdog Sun 30-Oct-16 18:00:14

Is it worth taking him to a bookshop like Waterstones that has a good selection and letting him have a look around. I can remember being really shocked when my son picked up Harry Potter because he loved the films, I thought it would be too hard but he gave it a go. Factual books may appeal to him too, space, nature, skills for boys etc.

neonrainbow Sun 30-Oct-16 20:02:56

He likes to read non fiction/fact books so will be getting him some of them for christmas but it's a bit of a shame that so far he sees reading as a chore. Me and dh grew up loving a bit of escapism through reading books and we want to try and intoduce that to him so hopefully he can start reading for pleasure.

mrsmortis Mon 31-Oct-16 10:08:26

How to train your dragon! My nephews love them.

DubiousCredentials Mon 31-Oct-16 10:17:58

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Tom Gates

My very reluctant 9yr old read the entire series of both of these back to back. Best thing I ever spend a fortune on grin

Avebury Mon 31-Oct-16 10:26:15

Choose your own adventure books went down well here over the summer

Witchend Mon 31-Oct-16 15:55:52

Ds is 9yo adores Lone Pine (Malcolm Saville) but is currently working through Alex Rider.
he also really enjoyed Cue for Treason (Geoffrey Trease).

He has a preference for fact books, but I've found ones with a historical interest go down well.
He has a huge selection of "how this obscure plane came into being with detailed descriptions of its engine" type books. I think they're dead boring, but he loves them.

LifeIsGhoulish Mon 31-Oct-16 16:28:45

Mr Gum books by Andy Stanton. Perfect for this age (and older wink) and perfect for a reluctant reader as there's not much on each page, but look like a substantial book.

Percy Jackson books.

Alex Rider books.

If he likes non-fiction, try a Guiness World Records annual for Xmas.

LifeIsGhoulish Mon 31-Oct-16 16:32:32

My 9yo discovered my ancient copy of Enid Blyton's The Valley of Adventure, and is absolutely loving it.

We also came across an Alfred Hitchcock Three Investigators book in a Youth Hostel while on holiday. Ds was frightened but delighted by it, and wants me to find some more of them.

Some stories start slowly, even the most exciting ones, and I find it often helps to read the first chapter to them, and then just happen to leave the book lying around...

neonrainbow Mon 31-Oct-16 17:18:12

Brilliant ideas thank you everyone.

Shemozzle Mon 31-Oct-16 17:22:50

I have a dd not a ds but I don't think it makes a difference for reading...

She loves Harry Potter and has done since last Christmas so I don't think he is too young. It was the illustrated version that encouraged my ds but now she's on the fifth one.

And she adores Wimpy Kid and Tom Gates, both very very good for reluctant readers as lots of pictures and easy to read.

I've got her the Percy Jackson box set for Christmas (book people is cheapest)

She quite enjoyed the David walliams books too.

RachaelLouise22 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:58:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DollopofTrollop Mon 07-Nov-16 21:08:49

My DS read Harry Potter a good few years ago but he LOVES to read. He will be 10 in August.
Tom Gates is a big favourite, Fiaty of a Wimpy kid,Mr Gum but these really just last 1 nights reading. We've bought Alex Rider for Christmas and he's also has Michael Morpeugo but he hated his style of writing.

GplanAddict Mon 07-Nov-16 22:27:40

My dd who is v reluctant, devours comics. We've borrowed some from the library called Bunny vs Monkey. Bonus is they make me laugh out loud too smile

BlueChampagne Thu 10-Nov-16 21:21:35

Friends rave about The Phoenix comic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now