Talk

Advanced search

Book of magic spells

(11 Posts)
ZebedeesJeans Mon 24-Oct-16 22:55:00

All year DD (7) has wanted Father Christmas to bring her the ability to do magic and we've finally managed to convince her he can't bring a 'skill' so she would like a spell book instead, to teach herself to do magic. We've tried to divert her from this, but she has steadfastly maintained that she doesn't want anything else as once she can do magic, she can magic up any toys herself.

Can anyone suggest a child-friendly spell book please? The only ones I've found so far are either Harry Potter (which she knows is fiction, so that wouldn't cut it) or proper witchcraft spell books, which seem rather dark and creepy for a sensitive 7 year old.

I realise that I am setting myself up for a failure here, when she can't get the spells to work, so expectation management will have to come along in the new year! Oh, and it's the sort of magic that wizards and fairies would do, not a magician (she's got a magic trick set and isn't the slightest bit interested in it)

Thank you

Undersmile Mon 24-Oct-16 23:11:31

What about something from the 'ology' series- we have Dragonology which is great, and describes how to find dragons, and how to care for them. There's also Wizardology and The Apprentice's Handbook.

Illusionology is about how to do magic of the trick kind...

Or something like How to see Fairies?

For when she' s a little older - The Keys to the Kingdom - I loved this when I was a young teen.

Undersmile Mon 24-Oct-16 23:19:41

Also, has she seen the film Kiki's Delivery Service? You could tell her she isn't old enough for a spell book yet, as she isn't 13, but watch this with her instead? It's really a very lovely film!

FayKnights Mon 24-Oct-16 23:20:48

I might be totally off piste, but how about the Book of Spells for the PS3:
www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderbook-Book-Spells-Game-PS3/dp/B008DS58LC
You learn the spells and then perform them on the screen with a 'wand'. The spells are based on Harry Potter and I thought they were excellent!

FayKnights Mon 24-Oct-16 23:23:09

Disclaimer - I know my suggestion is a bit more interactive than a traditional book smile

Undersmile Mon 24-Oct-16 23:24:09

Or her own Magic book to write spells in?

Waitingforsherlock Mon 24-Oct-16 23:26:05

I had the Puffin Book of Magic Verse as a child and loved it. It's full of spells and incantations etc. I still have my copy somewhere, it was a really special book for me.

www.goodreads.com/book/show/3899785-the-puffin-book-of-magic-verse

ZebedeesJeans Tue 25-Oct-16 07:18:11

Thank you so much for these wonderful suggestions - Christmas looks more than sorted now, I have a full basket on Amazon, just waiting to check out.

I have spent hours and hours trawling the internet with absolutely no success, and it takes only minutes for you wonderful lot to sort me out. I'm so grateful!

Undersmile Tue 25-Oct-16 08:52:49

I hope she has a magical Christmas! smile

ZebedeesJeans Tue 25-Oct-16 19:54:53

smile

schmalex Wed 26-Oct-16 17:35:06

Wow, I'm going to put all these on my Christmas list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now