Please Help 3 years old book issue

(8 Posts)
user1475016032 Tue 27-Sep-16 23:47:46

My 3 years old seems to have no interest in reading books, listening to me reading books or even just looking at them... I am very worried as all of his friends seem to enjoy at least some books... may be I am choosing the wrong books for him . I bought the very hungry caterpillar, Handa's surprise, and some other popular ones but so far no luck and I am getting worried he may have some medical issue

MamminaUK Tue 27-Sep-16 23:54:54

I had a similar issue but I eventually found something that interested him. He disliked Handa's surprise too but he liked a book called :
"Lumi the little orange elephant wants a job" which I think he liked because he likes grown up things....I guess different children like different things....
I have put a link just in case it may help you
www.amazon.co.uk/Lumi-Little-Orange-Elephant-wants/dp/153905506X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1475016741&sr=1-2&keywords=lumi+the+little+orange+elephant

schmalex Wed 28-Sep-16 08:46:55

You could try taking him to the library and letting him choose his own books? Sometimes they also run story time where they read lots of different stories.

hugoagogo Wed 28-Sep-16 08:51:11

I would take him to the library too, maybe to a storytime, make it a treat, a trip out.

NannyR Wed 28-Sep-16 09:00:23

The three year old I looked after really liked the books in the nonfiction section of the library that were aimed at early readers - with titles like "my job is a firefighter", " how do diggers work", "all about trucks" etc (not exact titles but there are loads of this type of book). There are lots of photographs to look at and talk about and the fact that they were about things he saw everyday really captured his interest.

Mumatoo Wed 12-Oct-16 20:32:59

Going to the library is a good idea.
Try some books on topics he likes. My DS loves animals and all the books he picks feature animals (fiction and non fiction).
Does he ever watch the Bedtime Story on CBeebies? It might be a way of getting him interested.

RueDeWakening Wed 12-Oct-16 23:33:23

My 3 year old boy really likes the Peep Inside series, specifically A Castle. It's an Usborne series and the books are all nice, but they do have flaps in.

We also like looking at the You Choose or Just Imagine books - there aren't really any words, but lots of pictures to talk about, and each page has a sentence or two at the top to point you in the right direction.

Ditsy4 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:19:09

I agree a visit to the library let him make his ticket and choose some books himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now