Talk

Advanced search

Novels which feature the suffragette movement?

(9 Posts)
Belo Fri 26-Aug-16 13:11:31

We're on holiday and have run out of books... My 13 year old dd has requested that I download a novel for on the kindle for her which covers the suffragette movement. I'm
sure there must be some but I can't think of any for the life of me. Any recommendations?

Leeds2 Sat 27-Aug-16 03:14:17

Only one I can think of is Suffragette by, I think, Carol Drinkwater. It is part of the My Story series, but may be a bit "young" for a 13 year old.

Belo Mon 29-Aug-16 11:49:34

My younger daughter has read books in the 'my story' series and really enjoyed them. So thank you, that's a great idea for her! She has also expressed an interest now. I'm going to order that one straight away. Thanks

Leeds2 Mon 29-Aug-16 23:45:00

I hope she enjoys it!

CeeBeeBee Fri 02-Sep-16 19:20:53

Opal Plumstead by Jacquiline Wilson. It may be a bit too young for your 13 year old dd though.

grimupnorthLondon Fri 02-Sep-16 19:24:18

No Surrender by Constance Maud. Written in 1911 and very good. But beware that the force feeding scene is very violent and upset me quite a bit when I first read it aged about 11 or 12. Depends how sensitive your 13 year old is (I was a total wimp)

midcenturymodern Fri 02-Sep-16 19:26:26

if you click on the books here you can see amazon ratings if that helps

Wanderingraspberry Fri 02-Sep-16 19:30:34

A Question of Courage by Marjorie Darke. I loved it at that age.

morningtoncrescent62 Sun 04-Sep-16 19:38:36

Opal Plumstead by Jacqueline Wilson. The main character is 14 and although I think the target audience is a bit younger, I think it works fine with early teens because of the amount of historical detail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now