SN dd has just read her first ever book for pleasure. can you please help me find others she may like

(12 Posts)
friendinwoe Thu 11-Aug-16 22:15:29

I am desperate to find others she may like as she won't read hardly.
She is a teen.

The book she has just enjoyed is this www.worldcat.org/title/bonny-starr-and-the-riddles-of-time/oclc/19669790

Reading age is fine so teen books or kids both fine.

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 11-Aug-16 22:25:31

My dd likes Michael grant 'gone' series, twilight, other vampire type books, and has recently read the da Vinci code. She is 12 but with a higher reading age, but doesn't like 'girly' books (her words!)

PartyCityGhoul Thu 11-Aug-16 22:32:02

Try Darren Shan, Cirque Du freak and Demonata series, good teen vamp/demon/magic series. I think the only books my fairly severely dyslexic brother ever chose to read and he read the lot, and I (female) enjoyed them as a teen

Also, the Garth Nix Abhorsen series might be good, but DBro struggled with the fantasy naming style and didn't enjoy them as much so perhaps library rather than buy those in case she doesn't like them.

minipie Thu 11-Aug-16 22:34:10

Diane Wynne Jones?

FranksBobot Thu 11-Aug-16 22:38:31

The Blood of Eden series and The Iron Fey Series both by Julie Kagawa are good reads for teens

elephantoverthehill Thu 11-Aug-16 22:42:20

Mallorie Blackman got DS1 into reading properly. I enjoyed them too. Also 'Pigheart boy', and 'Holes' off the top of my head.

JoyceDivision Thu 11-Aug-16 22:43:13

Karen McCombie, DD is really into these. (Whispers of wilderwood hall, The Girl who wasn't there, Alice B Lovely)

Also check out Christ Ridell goth Girl books, and Marcus Sedgewick books

fruityb Thu 11-Aug-16 22:46:15

Malone Blackman and Marcus Sedgewick are good. I loved the Geek Girl books - they were fun.

Would also recommend Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon, Sarah Crossan books, skulduggery pleasant series are also ace.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Mon 15-Aug-16 02:40:51

Susan Cooper - any of hers, not just the "Dark is Rising" series.
The "Connie Companion" series by Julia Golding.
The "Mortal Instruments" series by Cassandra Clare. (on special offer at the Works online as of yesterday wink )

friendinwoe Mon 15-Aug-16 13:29:23

Thank you! Will go in search of these.

SekhmetLioness Mon 22-Aug-16 20:59:01

The Alanna books by Tamora Pierce! www.amazon.co.uk/Alanna-First-Adventure-Song-Lioness-ebook/dp/B00F5W7JVG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1471895631&sr=1-1&keywords=tamora+pierce

Fantasy, gripping with a strong female lead, but also short and easy to read.

iseenodust Fri 09-Sep-16 08:43:22

Agree with Skullduggery Pleasant series
Doctor Illuminatus by Martin Booth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now