Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Astronomy book for 8 year old

(3 Posts)
LeonardoAcropolis Sat 30-Jul-16 21:46:46

Hello, I am looking for a recommendation for an astronomy book suitable for an 8 year old.

Any ideas? Thanks!

mrsmortis Mon 01-Aug-16 10:12:31

Yay - someone else who shares my DD's obsession.

Are you looking for books to help you find constellations etc. or are you looking for a book that's more about the science?

There are some really good Usborne lift the flap books on the solar system and the universe. There's also a horrible science book called 'Space, stars and slimey aliens' that DD loves and has read multiple times.

We also have the DK Childrens Encycolpedia of Space which is longer and has more info.

Finally DD also likes reading my copy of Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and Wonders of the Solar System books. I'm not sure how much she understands. But she likes them.

We also have a planisphere which she uses with Grandpa when they go star gazing together.

If you find any other interesting books can you let me know. We're always on the look out for more.

LeonardoAcropolis Mon 01-Aug-16 12:33:09

Hello, thank you for your reply, very helpful😃

I am after a book about the science and the two you recommend look perfect. I do have the Brian Cox books, I'll see if he wants to look at them. I also have a fantastic book called Bang! which was written by Patrick Moore and Queen's Brian May. It's about the Big Bang, is quite heavy going too but has good pictures and diagrams.

My ds also likes stargazing with his Grandpa 😃

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now