David Walliams children's books - thoughts?

(37 Posts)
michelle303 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:26:55

Hi all,

I'm trying find something engaging for my daughter to read, but she gets bored so easily. I've heard good things about David Walliams books but I'm not sure whether to invest in them or not. They always seem to be out of the library because they're so popular.

Has anyone read his children's books? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Michelle

ShatnersBassoon Fri 29-Jul-16 15:29:42

Order one from the library, they'll have loads of copies across the county. Chances are there'll be one available somewhere that they'll have sent to your branch.

michelle303 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:37:55

Thanks for the response. I will try and get hold of one of his books at the library, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on his books

Michelle

mumsnit Fri 29-Jul-16 15:39:59

We've got them all! DD (9) loves them and so does DS (12) so they're well read in our house.

How old is she? That might change which books to recommend as some of them wouldn't be entirely suitable for younger kids I don't think.

'Grandpa's Great Escape' is DDs favourite and I loved reading 'Gangsta Granny' to her. Very funny!

nancy75 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:41:50

Dd loves all of them, she is 11

LockedOutOfMN Fri 29-Jul-16 15:42:47

I have only read Gangsta Granny and The Boy In The Dress. I teach the bottom set in English in Year Seven (my school is abroad and nearly all of the students have English as their second or additional language), and for the past two years we've looked at "The Boy In The Dress" as our end of term book for the "fun" fortnight after exams. There are lots of resources on Walliams' website like fun worksheets and we were able to have a debate about school uniform and discuss other issues that arose from the book. There is also a BBC screen adaptation (there's one of Gangsta Granny too). The students loved the book and many of them, and others, have enjoyed reading his others like Billionaire Boy and Rat Burger by themselves.

Walliams' writing is a bit like Roald Dahl's in that the children love the books and there are often funny and even gruesome moments but also an emotional undercurrent and very vivid vocabulary.

DoinItFine Fri 29-Jul-16 15:44:32

They are so, so bad.

Like cringe bad.

He can't write at all and he's no funnier in print than on screen.

The only books I started that my kids were happy never to hear of again was his one about a billionaire at school.

It made me regret learning to read.

LockedOutOfMN Fri 29-Jul-16 15:45:20

Your daughter can see hear the first part of the novels read aloud on the website, and get a taste of each book, e.g. this page for "The Boy In The Dress".

megletthesecond Fri 29-Jul-16 15:48:20

doin I didn't like them either. If he wasn't famous I can't imagine they'd have been published.

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-16 15:50:47

Dd used to enjoy them when she was younger. They've been popular amongst their children I know.
FWiW the children who read them generally didn't have a clue who he was before reading the books, but still enjoyed them.

Paniniswapx3 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:52:17

My 9 year old DS loves them & has read them all (& I enjoy them too - agree with pp re they are Roald Dahl-esque).

MrsFrankieHeck Fri 29-Jul-16 15:55:54

The kids at school all love these, they are the most popular books they read to us.

I got my copies cheap on eBay.

Oxfordblue Mon 01-Aug-16 19:12:14

Doinitfine that's a bit harsh, or maybe you've no sense of humour?!

To the OP my DD is just 10 & really liked them. Her fave is Awful Auntie.
Fwiw she also enjoyed the Emily Whinsnapp series, Liz Kessler I think.

DoinItFine Mon 01-Aug-16 19:22:20

Yup, no sense of humour at all.

I have actually never laughed at anything ever.

Oh god, the cringe is coming back as I remember thr blank faces staring back at me as I read out the lame jokes and the ploddong, contrived story about the stereotype character.

<shudder>

Theknacktoflying Mon 01-Aug-16 19:23:17

Personally, I think they are a more acceptable Roald Dahl - DW's characters are also a bit more rounded ...

inmyplace Thu 04-Aug-16 21:11:34

Doinitfine- that's a strong reaction! I realise they might not be to everyone's taste, but I have been surprisingly impressed with them. I think they pick up on some important issues in a really accessible way. Mine were reading them from about 6 and loved them- they still talk about gansta granny now and laugh at the bit where she is going down the motorway, 2 1/2 years later. And it helped introduce the idea that grandparents can die. I think its fine for the kids to enjoy some reading just for fun and I think they will have helped many a reluctant reader to see that reading can be for pleasure. My kids read worthy stuff too, but these books have played an important part in their reading development and so i became a real convert!

That1950sMum Thu 04-Aug-16 21:17:31

They are brilliant. We own all of them in print and as talking books. I think Billionaire Boy is the weakest but my children loved all of them. The Boy in the Dress is beautifully written and touches on some really important themes. Gangsta Granny is genuinely touching as well as very funny.

Iamcheeseman Thu 04-Aug-16 21:33:01

They are shit. They would never have been put to print if it wasn't for his name on the front. They are awfully written and not funny at all.
I teach year 5 and we had him as our author of the month at one point this year. I will not be using him again!

Wickedwitchofsouthwest Thu 04-Aug-16 21:43:31

My daughter got a few for her 4th birthday, I've never read any of them more than once, thank god they were awful. Cringey as fuck.

SummerSazz Thu 04-Aug-16 21:47:44

We have the cds and dd's listen to them all the time. Themes are very thought provoking and sad in places. Not particularly 'highbrow' but that's not the point of a kids book Imo. I personally love Raj!

Sixfifetree Thu 04-Aug-16 22:01:50

They are cringe-worthy. My DC do not care for them. So many good books out there.

Dontstepinthecowpat Thu 04-Aug-16 22:10:24

My 8 year old loves them and 5 year old giggles along to audio books. My 8 year old enjoys them along with the how to train your dragon books, Harry Potter and Roald Dahl and I admit to enjoying them also - they are great for kids with a good sense of humour.

gingercat02 Thu 04-Aug-16 22:28:04

My just 8 yo ds loves them. I don't like the man at all but reading is all good in my mind. DS also recently read David Baddiel People/person controller (can't remember and he's asleep) and loved it too.
Roald Dahl is always good. Tom Gates and Chris Hoys books are good as well

BikeRunSki Thu 04-Aug-16 22:32:34

My 7 year old likes the audiobooks and has just started to read the books to himself. I like them!

MrsJayy Thu 04-Aug-16 22:35:22

Dd2 wasnt a great reader and struggled but loved Davids books I love him for writing them she couldnt wait for the new ones to come out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now