Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations for 5yr old

(5 Posts)
SternlyVoice Sun 19-Jun-16 21:33:36

My 5yo dd is currently getting Stage 6 books (Oxford Reading Tree) to read from school. She manages these quite well and we're looking for recommendations for other books that she might enjoy more than the school books. If your dc are at a similar reading level, what books do they enjoy reading? Recommendations welcome!

chamenager Mon 20-Jun-16 11:39:26

Once you've reached stage 6 (orange) on ORT, and if school is decent at teaching phonics, your DD should be able to attempt pretty much any book - from a decoding perspective.

So the question is more about reading stamina, likes, interests, and age-appropriate topics/vocabulary. Which of course depends very much on your child!

DS when on stage 6 at school, had good stamina and would read for hours, but only if the books had pictures (colour pictures on every page, that is!), were on a topic that he was obsessed with interested him, and had quite a large typeface. Also each individual book couldn't be too long or he would not attempt it, whereas he'd easily read the same amount if it was split up into three shorter books. He didn't 'do' chapter books (unless the chapters and the whole book were so short that he could still get through the whole book within 30 minutes - in which case he was then happy to go on and read the next book in the series...).

Specifically, he'd read and enjoy books on his obsession (think Lego Starwars readers). Blue Banana books from the library. Usborne 'Look Inside' and 'See Inside' books (non-fiction, with flaps) on topics of interest. Occasionally he'd read some of his 'old' picture books (e.g. Julia Donaldson/Axel Scheffler). He enjoyed some of the 'Early Reader' series of books (but not the Horrid Henry ones): The Lion on the Meadow. The Man Whose Mother was a Pirate. The Haunted House on Buffin Street (and sequels). Mondays at Monster School.
We also had books from the 'practice your phonics with traditional tales' series (Usborne). DS never picked them up by himself, they reminded him of school books; however he DID enjoy them when I bribed him into reading them. Big colourful pictures, interesting stories (think Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, etc).

But depending on your DD, she might be fine with books without so many pictures; she may be happy to work through longer books, a chapter per sitting; and obviously her interests may be entirely different.

I'd suggest taking your DD to a library and letting her browse the books and pick a few! Or ask the librarian if they have any children's books on, or featuring, whatever your DD is interested in.

At that stage (and still now), for reading at home, I am of the school of thought that whatever your child WANTS to read, is a good book. So I wasn't bothered about literary quality, or if the book stretches the child; anything that he enjoyed, I was happy with.

chamenager Mon 20-Jun-16 11:49:56

Oh and DS soon began to enjoy MrMen/Little Miss books, and has had the occasional 'Happy Families' book from the library. Happy Families books are easier to read, MrMen books have interesting/challenging vocabulary. If you have a child who 'likes words' then they could go down really well.

Toorun Fri 01-Jul-16 08:07:04

Checkout the book poppet pixie finds a bunny by kara strand. It has pictures on most pages but not one to get children used to doing without. My friend who is a teacher recommends it as something different which she enjoys reading aloud as much as the children enjoy hearing.good for girls and boys .

SusieFlo Tue 12-Jul-16 15:04:06

Thanks for posting this question - and for the helpful replies so far. I was about to come in and ask an identical question!

I'm on the look out for some books for my son to read over the summer - ideally pitched at a similar capability to ORT level 6 - but maybe a wee bit more gripping than Biff and Kipper.

So far I've spotted a range called Little Gem that looks good - small format paperbacks with nice, big font and illustrations, and includes a varied selection of stories by well known authors such as Cornelia Funke and Julia Donaldson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now