Talk

Advanced search

Fantasy adventure book ideas for 9 year old please who loves Eragon and HP

(45 Posts)
Monroe Sun 19-Jun-16 11:22:04

DS is almost 10. He reads a lot and especially enjoys fantasy and adventure series. He is currently reading the third book in the Eragon series and loving it but I'm running out of ideas of what to recommend next!

He has read all the Harry Potter books, chronicles of Narnia, Dark is rising. If anyone can recommend any similar series that would be great, thank you

VictoriaRoses Sun 19-Jun-16 11:37:24

Gareth Nix is good, his 'keys to the kingdom' series is good, my favourite is his 'old kingdom' series which is about a good necromancer destroying dead things (better than I'm making it sound)

shatteredstudentmum Sun 19-Jun-16 11:46:48

Artemis Fowl? My DS enjoyed those last year

fatowl Sun 19-Jun-16 13:49:03

I was a huge fantasy reader in my early/mid- teens. There may be more around now, but I remember enjoying David Eddings (the Belgariad series starting with Pawn of Prophecy), Terry Brooks Shannara series, Anne MacCaffery Pern Dragon books (esp if he liked Eragon).

Sadik Sun 19-Jun-16 17:17:57

Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo (magical boarding school, a bit HPesq, but still entertaining)
Lion Boy trilogy by Zizou Corder
Percy Jackson if he hasn't read them, plus all the other various related series (DD started reading these about your DS's age, and still enjoys them age 14 & buys the new ones when they come out)
Second Artemis Fowl
Ingo series by Helen Dunmore
Chronicles of Ancient Darkness (lots of these)

Old but dd still enjoyed them - the Harper Hall trilogy by Anne McCaffrey - Dragonsong/Dragonsinger/Dragondrums (be aware that these three were written specifically as YA fiction, the other Pern books are aimed at adults)
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Napoleonic wars alternate history with dragons) isn't YA, but dd read it aged 9 or 10 when she was in a major dragon phase. There's a certain amount of sex, but nothing overly graphic.

Jenijena Sun 19-Jun-16 17:19:14

I read a series about that age by Brian jacques, it might appeal?

Dylanandhis2Villains Sun 19-Jun-16 20:20:27

All Rick Riordon
Brandon Mull( Fabelhaven,5 Kingdoms,Candy Shop Wars)
Artemis Fowl
Michelle Paver

noblegiraffe Sun 19-Jun-16 20:23:43

Any Diana Wynne Jones especially the Chrestomanci books but also the Spellcoats quartet.

GastonsPomPomWrath Sun 19-Jun-16 20:23:44

I have a 9 yr old who is loving the Darkmouth series by Shane Hegarty

lougle Sun 19-Jun-16 20:45:07

DD2 is loving the Percy Jackson books (Greek mythology)

VictoriaRoses Sun 19-Jun-16 21:17:08

Alex Rider by Anthony Horowitz and the Young Bond are good too

Cathpot Sun 19-Jun-16 21:19:37

Chrestomanci books for dragons
Skulduggery pleasant books for fantasy with tongue in cheek humour
Lemony snicket for fabulousness

stealthsquiggle Sun 19-Jun-16 21:27:46

Temeraire (Napoleonic wars with added dragons)

MachiKoro Sun 19-Jun-16 21:35:48

The Neverending Story
Phoenix by S. F. Said
Red wall series by Brian Jacques

What about the Dragonlance series? Can't remember if there's any hanky panky in them though... I was probably 13 or so when I read them.

Bogburglar99 Sun 19-Jun-16 21:45:21

Definitely Percy Jackson.

MachiKoro Sun 19-Jun-16 21:51:38

Or Jacksi Person as he's known in our house!

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 19-Jun-16 21:56:15

The House on Falling Star Hill (Micheal Molloy)

The Witch Trade series (Michael Molloy)

Second Garth Nix and Diana Wynne Jones. Jenny Nimmo is good as are some Eva Ibbotsen.

He might like The Fire Within (Chris D'Lacey) but the series gets a bit weird later on, so I might just read it as a standalone.

exampanic Sun 19-Jun-16 21:58:55

dd is also 9. Also liked/read many of the books mentioned here. On 4th book of Eragon, but also now re-reading Tintin and Asterix and Obelix.

Monroe Sun 19-Jun-16 22:14:34

Some brilliant ideas, thank you. I was also a big fantasy fan when I was younger so you have reminded me of lots I have heard of or read myself but also lots that are new to me.

He has read a few percy Jackson's. He did enjoy them but they didn't grip him like Eragon which is definitely his favourite so far.

I remember reading some of the Pern books myself, also David Eddings, Terry Brooks. I was looking for some in the library last week but tgey had none. I think he might enjoy the shannara chronicles.

I'm going to look into all your suggestions so thank you again. I've just ordered him the last in the Eragon series so that will keep him going for a couple of days 😕

I love that he has such a lovely of reading but it can be an expensive happy to keep up!

Monroe Sun 19-Jun-16 22:16:06

Hobby not happy confused

Cooroo Sun 19-Jun-16 22:17:01

My DD loved Harry Potter and Eragon, and went on to enjoy the Northen Lights (read to her) and Skulduggery Pleasant (which we both loved but read independently).

TheDropBear Sun 19-Jun-16 22:21:31

Artemis Fowl
Cornelia Funke- Inkheart
Garth Nix- Old Kingdom, Keys to the Kingdom, The Ragwitch
Phillip Pullman- His Dark Materials
Tolkien- The Hobbit
Robin Hobb- Farseer trilogy (not sure on the age rating for this one)

My top suggestion would be Garth Nix's Sabriel, I loved Harry Potter and Eragon and Sabriel has been my favourite fantasy book since I was 10.

Monroe Sun 19-Jun-16 22:28:52

I think he would enjoy northern lights but wasn't sure if he was a bit young for it yet?

I have a bookcase in the garage with all my books on it. He is working his way through them but not all are suitable. I have northern lights though so might suggest those next. Pretty sure I couldn't read them to him though. I would be incapable of speech when I came to the part where Hester and Lee die!

Not heard of Skulduggery Pleasant, will add it to my list

Monroe Sun 19-Jun-16 22:43:57

adds a few more to the list

He has read the hobbit. Not heard of Ragwitch?

I have the Farseer Trilogy also (loved it myself) but think age wise he might be a bit young yet.

Smurfingreat Sun 19-Jun-16 22:45:55

Anything by Tamora Pierce. I got into them via the Alanna series when I was about 10, but still love and collect them now.

Every time I get a new book for Christmas my DH knows not to bother speaking to me for 24 hours and I'm nearly 40!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now