Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Introduction to history book

(6 Posts)
cc1975 Tue 14-Jun-16 15:25:51

I've been scouring the library for an overview of history book for my 5 year old son who loves all things factual. Something that starts with prehistoric man and moves forward to Romans, mediaval, Tudors, wars etc. Most history books seem to focus in on one time period - I just wanted a very basic overview of it all so he gets a sense of the order and progression. Would welcome any suggestions....

notamummy10 Mon 20-Jun-16 19:11:14

Horrible Histories?

RustyBear Mon 20-Jun-16 19:21:02

A Street through Time is a lovely picture book that shows how the same street has changed from 10,000 BC to the present day.

www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Through-Time-000-year-Journey/dp/0751355356

It's got lots of detail and things to spot, with little bits of information round the edges.

MermaidofZennor Mon 20-Jun-16 20:55:51

You could try Kings and Things by H E Marshall. It's written with young children in mind, and tells each period of history like a bed time story. We really enjoyed it, nothing to give nightmares.

I've tried the Horrible Histories books with DS, who is just 7. Whilst he loves the tv series, he still finds the books a bit scary.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 20-Jun-16 20:59:12

A Street Through Time is wonderful. I bought a copy just for me.

mrsmortis Wed 22-Jun-16 13:37:42

My DD got this one from school in YR (as the book for the child and parents to enjoy together, not as her reading book) and still talks about it now:

www.amazon.co.uk/Through-Time-London-Richard-Platt/dp/0753431068/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466598988&sr=8-3&keywords=london+through+time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now