Talk

Advanced search

Children's school song books From the 60s

(9 Posts)
OrlandaFuriosa Fri 27-May-16 21:06:11

this is for old primary teachers

When I was at school in England in the 60s we had a series of songbooks of folksongs, mainly from the British Isles. They were A5 size, soft back in a funny non smooth cover, in such 60s colours as lime green, orange, turquoise, they had I think both stave and sol fa. There must have been a piano version.

Do they ring any bells? It was an excellent collection.

Bloodybridget Sat 28-May-16 11:36:38

It wasn't the books for Singing Together, the schools radio programme?

Witchend Sat 28-May-16 12:39:55

The singing together were like a magazine, with one issued every term. You did then with the radio, ad I don't think there was a piano book to go with it.

febnov Sat 28-May-16 12:40:28

As soon as I read the title of your post I thought of the song books from my school which contained such classics as 'To People who have Gardens' ("A day's work a week's work"). The ones I'm thinking of had plastic covers with lime green and turquoise swirly patterns. They were still in use at my primary school in the 1980s and 1990s!

Tokelau Sat 28-May-16 12:49:57

Were they these books?
Apusskidu , and Carol Daily Carol?

OrlandaFuriosa Sat 28-May-16 12:56:44

They weren't apusdkidu or cdc, and I don't recall them having swirly bits, in the versions I had, anyway. I'm assuming they had a piano version but the teacher might just have extemporised.

They covered things like the Raggle taggle gipsies, the Skye boat song, strawberry fair, David if the white Rock, the Londonderry air, Cornish songs.

OrlandaFuriosa Sat 28-May-16 12:57:35

Hand no guitar markings, afair,so early 60s, I'd guess.

OrlandaFuriosa Sat 28-May-16 13:09:12

*And

morningtoncrescent62 Mon 13-Jun-16 15:07:21

Oh, I think I know these, and yes, we had them. They had 'Oh my little Augustine' and 'My love's an arbutus by the borders of Lene' or some such in them (as well of loads of others, clearly). I think they were called the Oxford school song books, but I can't find them online. There was one for each year in junior school and the top junior one was lime green. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of one of them at home somewhere - I saw it in a second-hand bookshop and bought it in a fit of nostalgia. When I get home I'll have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now