Talk

Advanced search

A new book about online safety for children!

(1 Post)
JamesGoz Sun 15-May-16 10:04:35

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me sharing the fruits of my labour right here!

It dawned on me some time ago that two of the things I spend the most time doing are working – in Cyber Security – and reading to my children. So why not combine them?

Most of us know that the cyber world is the here and now. You’re reading this for example!

None of us would have foreseen just 10 years ago how prevalent our interaction with it would be and these days you only have to pick up a newspaper most days (or read a news website) to hear about the latest hack or breach or individual being stung online.

And this is only the beginning. For the next generation their interaction will be all encompassing; new social networks appearing all the time, wearable technology, the internet of things.

So I had an idea about my daughter’s generation and what behaviours might best equip them to cope, even just a little bit, and safeguard them against the online world.

I see schools are improving their educational programmes in this respect all the time but some of the content I’ve seen seems a bit too much like, well work.

The human brain is literally wired & programmed (neuro science, neural pathways, pattern matching) to take on information via stories passed down through generations so why not a story book that is fun to read and yet embeds key lessons and behaviours within it?

And that’s what I set out to do. Been knocked back by a few publishers but hey so was JK Rowling many more times!

So I’ve self-published and you can buy the book in print www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Zablet-story-Security-generation/dp/1532790015 and the ebook version www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Zablet-Safety-children-generation-ebook/dp/B01F7VZ0S8.

It’s aimed at 6-12 year olds as much of the content I’ve seen seems to be targeted at teenagers, I’m going for the funnel of the water hydrant itself! Perhaps the 6 to 8 year olds might need help with their parents – there is a reading guide at the back that describes the lessons I’m attempting to call out in the chapters.

It’s more Enid Blyton than David Walliams, we were reading a lot of that at the time, but her books still seem very popular – and no lashings of ginger beer in sight (although she never wrote that!). And Enid lived just down the road from where I live now.

So if you like the idea then please buy the book, tell a friend and leave me a good review please!

There are some original illustrations in the book and there will be a website coming shortly too.

That's about it really, happy to answer any questions!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now