Mystery stories for 7 year old girl?

(25 Posts)
yawningbear Sat 14-May-16 08:03:37

DD is dyslexic and really struggles to read but loves being read to or listening to audio books. We have joined an audio lending library and she can create a wish list that will get sent out. Her favourites are Enid Blyton mysteries, also Roald Dahl, David Walliams. Looking for some other alternative mystery books or I can see her only listening to Enid Blyton for the next 6 months and that can't be good for anyone! She also has a good sense of humour so anything funny would appeal.

MarvellousCake Sat 14-May-16 08:11:09

Helen Moss Adventure Island series is like a modern Enid Blyton. But i'd probably let her go through all the Enid Blyton if that's what she likes - my dd mainlined EB for a good year or two and has survived - and has great vocab!

MarvellousCake Sat 14-May-16 08:12:35

The How to Train Your Dragon books might also be worth a go. And the Mr Gumm books are not adventures but are v funny.

yawningbear Sat 14-May-16 08:24:04

Thanks Marvellous, that is good to know. I will go with Enid obsession. I spoke to the lending library yesterday and they said they actually only have 31 out of the 700 that she wrote so I figure that will only take her a few weeks but would be good to have it interspersed with something else. It also gets slightly awkward at times because she has a habit of re-naming her cuddlies that go everywhere with her after the characters in which ever book she is listening to.

We do have the Mr Gumm stories and she thinks they are hilarious, not sure if we have all of them though so will have a look. Have not heard of Helen Moss Adventure Island and she dosen't have the Dragon ones so will look and see if they have them, thank you!

schmalex Sat 14-May-16 16:58:19

How about the Mariella Mystery series?

Roseformeplease Sat 14-May-16 17:21:56

Molly Moon. Also, Nancy Drew.

exexpat Sat 14-May-16 17:25:22

DD liked the Molly Moon books and also the Jack Stalwart series at that age.

yawningbear Sat 14-May-16 19:32:05

Great, thanks for the suggestions, I haven't heard of any of these, except for Nancy Drew which I loved but couldn't remember if they were aimed at older kids. The audio library doesn't seem to have the Helen Moss series but have found a box set on Amazon as that looks like it will be a big hit. Despite her struggle with literacy I really want her to continue to love books.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Sat 14-May-16 19:33:55

The Goth girl series are very good.

Hensintheskirting Sat 14-May-16 19:35:48

Dark is rising series by Susan Cooper. Not funny but vv mysterious!! Not sure if you can get them as audiobooks but hope so.

BlueChampagne Sat 14-May-16 22:48:38

Caroline Lawrence's Roman Mysteries, if she doesn't'the scare too easily.

Sonotkylie Mon 16-May-16 19:33:38

Baker Street Boys

greeningthedesert Mon 16-May-16 20:31:43

The Felix dashwood series just finally got my 9 year old girl into reading. They're for a slightly younger age group but English isn't my kids' first language or alphabet.

greeningthedesert Mon 16-May-16 20:33:52

Also the other ones by the goth girls author - ottoline series. My kid found them much more penetrable than goth girls.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 16-May-16 20:36:02

Ruby Redfort by Lauren Child

sarahja99 Mon 16-May-16 20:37:22

I'd second Helen Moss and also recommend Joanna Nadin Penny Dreadful. Have you been to your local library? Where I work we can order in audio books for free for dyslexic readers.

yawningbear Tue 17-May-16 06:58:56

Thanks very much for all these suggestions. Have just made up her first request list with the audio library, mainly of The Blyton variety as unfortunately they don't seem to have too many of the other suggestions but I read to her as much as I can so will order some of these for me to read to her as well.

margaritasbythesea Tue 17-May-16 07:07:41

Marking place for when I go to the library smile

GinIsIn Tue 17-May-16 07:25:48

They're not mystery stories but it does fit the Enid Blyton 'ginger beer and lashings of cream' vibe, so also worth checking out Noel Streatfeild- Ballet Shoes, etc.

For mysteries - Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Emil & The Detectives?

MarvellousCake Tue 17-May-16 09:30:53

FWIW - I do think Nancy Drew are aimed at a slightly older age range. DD (a voracious reader) tried them at 7ish and the mysteries were surrounded by too much complication in the way of interpersonal relationships etc. So they were ditched.

Ruby Redfort books are GREAT but again maybe slightly older? DD is really enjoying them at 9.

Baker Street Boys I think are OK. And yes to Goth Girl and Ottoline. But maybe more for reading out from a book as you'll want to appreciate the illustrations.

mrsmortis Tue 17-May-16 10:02:42

Swallows and Amazons might work and there are some really good audiobook versions about.

Some of the older Dick King Smith - Harrys Mad or the Queens Nose. Or how about the Moondial? Or Tom's Midnight Garden?

My DD is 7 and is currently reading The Secret Garden which I think might class as a mystery too.

yawningbear Thu 19-May-16 07:46:28

I really appreciate all these suggestions. She has the Secret Garden on audio and I did start Ballet Shoes a while ago but it didn't strike a chord so I have put it to one side just now.

I absolutely loved Swallows and Amazons as a kid but have resisted the audio as the thought of DD out and about with her re-named teddies Dick and Fanny being joined by Titty is just a step too far! It can be one to read to her.

The first audio CD's appeared in the post last night, very exciting so she happily went to bed early listening to Five get into a Fix- spiffing! Thanks again everyone, I now have a great list to work through with her.

Avebury Thu 19-May-16 07:54:19

Ramona Quimby/The worst witch/horrid Henry

lljkk Thu 19-May-16 08:25:08

I read Nancy Drew ravenously from age 7 but it helps that I'm American.
Jeremy Strong if she wants funny.

Avebury Thu 19-May-16 11:25:18

Tom Gates is another good one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now