Talk

Advanced search

books from for a 12 yr old girl who does not like hunger games etc

(13 Posts)
OnlyHereForTheCamping Sun 01-May-16 17:16:16

She can't stand violence death etc.

Thanks

fruityb Sun 01-May-16 17:21:27

Everything everything by Nicola Yoon - lovely story of a girl who is allergic to everything but strikes up a relationship with the boy next door.

The apple tart of Hope - another lovely one.

Geek girl series - funny and relatable for teenage girls.

Another day - a kind of spirit who wakes up in a different body each day. Weird but a good read.

The terrible thing that happened to Barnaby Brocket - about a boy who floats. Gorgeous.

Wonder - story of a boy who is different and the lives of those around him. An absolute stunner.

Will think of others but reckon these may go down well. It's hard to get away from bleak dystopia these days!

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 01-May-16 17:23:40

The Girls in the Velvet Frame - Adele Geras

The Children of the Red King Series - Jenny Nimmo

The Witch Trade series - Michael Molloy

If you can get hold of them and she likes dancing The Sadler's Wells books.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 01-May-16 17:24:56

I love The House on Falling Star Hill too, but there are some fights/deaths. It's fantasy though, so might be ok? And it's mostly bad people who die.

annandale Sun 01-May-16 17:26:46

Joan Aiken, especially the short stories (midnight is a place might be a bit scary)

The Jill pony books (from the library)

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 01-May-16 17:29:19

Diana Wynne Jones - the Chrestomanci ones.

The Fire Within - Chris d'Lacy, although I'd read it as a standalone I think, the first one is lovely then the series gets progressively odder...

FadedRed Sun 01-May-16 17:32:30

'Ready, Steady, Dig!' and 'Gnome, or Mr Nice Guy' by Rosemary Winter.

jessplussomeonenew Sun 01-May-16 17:33:42

Was just coming on to recommend Diana Wynne Jones - so many great books there though I agree Chrestomanci is great! Howl's Moving Castle and Power of Three are also favourites. Generally I'd recommend anything of hers though she does do several books which are more aimed at adults (e.g. A sudden wild magic).

DorothyL Sun 01-May-16 17:39:41

Eva Ibbotson

DraenorQueen Sun 01-May-16 17:41:38

How about Northern Lights by Philip Pullman? Epic series and perfect for a girl of her age.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 01-May-16 17:44:27

The Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett. Starts with Wee Free Men and the whole series is basically the story of a girl growing into a teenager and starting to find her place in the world. Plus it is very funny and fantastical.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sun 01-May-16 18:47:25

Thank you, you are all lovely, I shall get to work down loading samples

BlueChampagne Fri 06-May-16 22:35:12

A Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge
The Green Knowe series by Lucy M Boston

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now