Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend audio books for a 9 year old?

(11 Posts)
StDogolphin Mon 25-Apr-16 09:44:32

We have a long car journey soon and a car sick prone DS. We have found audio books help because he can still look out of the window. So far he has enjoyed Harry Potter, Horrid Henry, FF and SS.

Can anyone suggest anything?

JamieFraserskneewarmer Mon 25-Apr-16 09:56:14

My 9 year old DS loves Harry Potter and he really enjoys the Terry Pratchett audio books. The Dragons of Crumbling Castle read by Julian Rhind-Tutt is his favourite. It is a selection of short stories in a four disc set so work even for short journeys. He also loves the Wee Free Men and the rest of that series read by Stephen Briggs (any of the Pratchett books read by Briggs are excellent IMO). We also have the Artemis Fowl ones and Percy Jackson and they are popular for longer journeys.

BlueChampagne Mon 25-Apr-16 12:47:28

How to Train your Dragon read by David Tennant
Jackanory abridged The Hobbit
Just So Stories

Justletthemeatcake Mon 25-Apr-16 13:00:31

Most of the Roald Dahls

hazeyjane Mon 25-Apr-16 13:03:20

Mine love Diary Of A Wimpy Kid audio books (and the bonus is that I really like them too!)

StDogolphin Tue 26-Apr-16 10:45:30

Many thanks! Off to see if the library have any I can order.

BlueEyeshadow Tue 26-Apr-16 10:54:50

Paddington, read by Stephen Fry - they are allegedly for DS2, but DS1 secretly still really enjoys them!

mrsmortis Tue 26-Apr-16 14:24:06

The BBC full cast recording of Narnia.

Madcats Sun 08-May-16 20:48:33

We borrow A LOT of talking books from the library. We seem to be able to order them online from about 4 counties' library stock and they turn up within a few weeks at our branch for free.

DD is 8 (and has quite boyish tastes in literature).

I/we find it quite tricky to listen to "full cast" versus "single narrator" stories in the car (it must be something to do with adjusting to one voice/sound levels, though we see to be fine with R4 plays). We'll have to look out for the Hobbit by Jackanory,, albeit abbreviated.

David Tennant is fab reading the Cressida Cowell HTTYD books.
Have "you" read any of Antony Horowitz's Alex Rider series? DH and I grumble about the plausibility, but enjoy these recordings. (Charlie Higson's Young James Bond seem a bit too complicated for DD at the moment).
David Walliams has also narrated most of his books.

Enid Blyton' s Famous Five series (Jan Francis) are also quite fun/lighter.
It took a while for me to get used to the voice, but Andy Stanton's Mr Gum books have grown on me.

It is worth sneaking in a few classics from time to time; I really enjoyed 101 Dalmatians on a recent car journey.

DD also gets car sick. We've found that putting her in the middle of the back seat, so she doesn't stare at head restraints, helps her enormously.

Enb76 Sun 08-May-16 21:02:03

Anne Hathaway doing the Wizard of Oz is great, also 100 Greek Myths by Lucy Coats-Car, I'll second David Tennant reading HTTYD. Mine also likes Terry Pratchett and Tom Holt.

Dogolphin Mon 09-May-16 18:34:40

Thanks everyone! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now