Talk

Advanced search

Antonia Forest fans - GGB republishing Falconer's Lure

(23 Posts)
TarquinGyrfalcon Fri 11-Mar-16 20:01:17

GGB are republishing Falconer's Lure in May, but you can preorder now.

Bloodybridget Fri 25-Mar-16 21:51:06

Coo! I have a Faber hb of this one, but I wish GGB would do an edition of End of Term, mine is loose leaf now!

TarquinGyrfalcon Tue 29-Mar-16 11:49:53

I'm very excited - I actually have a copy but I've ordered a second one to have as a back up.

My End of Term is in bits as well! I'd love to be able to replace it.

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 17-Apr-16 22:06:04

I have just read The Marlows and their Maker by Anne Heazlewood. I couldn't put it down. You prob all know it, but I loved it. She showed it in draft to AF before her death and got 9 pages of comment.

I wish she'd done a bit more on the characters and the equivalent in their friends, there's some stuff in Marie Dobson, but I always want more on that arch manipulator, Tim, and also Janice Scott. But I shall read and reread. I gave never read the historical ones, don't know why, but perhaps I now will.

Bloodybridget Fri 29-Apr-16 16:09:48

Orlanda, I absolutely loved The Player's Boy. Hope you enjoy it too. This Shakespeare 400 huha has made me think about it a lot!

HumphreyCobblers Fri 29-Apr-16 16:11:02

oooh thanks for letting me know! I read it from the library when I was little, a VERY kind mums netter leant me a copy once a few years ago, but I would be so happy to actually own it!

HumphreyCobblers Fri 29-Apr-16 16:11:35

I just got an End of Term and Attic Term on amazon for about three quid each. Couldn't believe it!

HarrietVane99 Fri 29-Apr-16 16:18:33

Orlanda, definitely give them a go. The central character in the Players books is essentially Nicola turned into a boy and transported to the 16th century, so if you like her, you'll like him. You get all the Marlow family history that Edwin finds in the farm log. And I love the way AF portrays Shakespeare.

Bloodybridget Fri 29-Apr-16 16:54:38

Humphrey Cobblers, that's amazing re Amazon purchases! I must have a browse!

RiverTam Fri 29-Apr-16 16:58:09

But I've already got Falconer's Lure! <stamps foot> Why can't they do the Ready Made Family?

That biog book sounds great.

TarquinGyrfalcon Sun 01-May-16 18:01:55

Humphrey - what a bargain - I just looked and can't find any copies under £35

River I think they are doing them all - it just seems to take ages for each one to be released.

I did email them and ask beg shamelessly that they release them all as Kindle books but they said they have no plans to do so.

TarquinGyrfalcon Sun 01-May-16 18:04:11

Just noticed on the GGB website they have moved the publishing date to June

HumphreyCobblers Sun 01-May-16 18:08:24

I know, I couldn't believe it. I actually felt a bit bad, someone had listed them with no idea of their value. I didn't feel bad enough not to buy them though grin

TarquinGyrfalcon Sun 01-May-16 18:15:08

They'd have been in my basket asap.
Years ago we were in Hay on Wye and I found copies of Autumn Term, End of Term and Cricket Term for pennies - I was grinning like a fool for the rest of the day.

HumphreyCobblers Sun 01-May-16 18:18:25

I dream of finding the whole lot at a car boot sale...it would be the find of the century. Although I think my copy of The Marlows and the Traitor came from a car boot sale (last time I looked it was going for £180!!)

RustyBear Sun 01-May-16 18:37:15

My copy of End of Term is in bits too! Maybe it was a bad batch!

I have the Faber hardback too, I think it came from Hay - Tarquin, did you get yours from the Toll Cottage shop on the B road out of town? I got a lot of my children's books from there - Monica Edwards, Dimsie, and most of my Elsie Dinsmore.

TarquinGyrfalcon Sun 01-May-16 18:59:09

Rusty, my Marlows and the trailer came from the Toll Cottage shop - I ummed and ahhed about buying it until DH told me to just get it as he wasn't driving me back the next day (we live about 3 hours plus drive away)

Mind you, DH did source and buy me copies of all the AFs I didn't have one Christmas so I can't really complain about him.

RustyBear Sun 01-May-16 19:29:51

We live a long way from Hay too, but my PIL used to live in Kington nearby, so I'd get DH to take me over every time we visited. MIL left after FIL dies, so we haven't been back for a few years now - I miss it!

(Love the autocorrect 'Marlows and the trailer' - Rowan's adventures in farming? grin )

TarquinGyrfalcon Sun 01-May-16 20:03:43

grin at trailer

I love Hay - in fact I feel it's time we revisited. We used to go a lot but the advent of the internet and being able to order books has meant we don't often make the effort.

OrlandaFuriosa Mon 02-May-16 15:07:29

Bloody hell, TPB on Abe, costs between £30- over £200!

Going to scour charity shops ....

ifigoup Mon 02-May-16 15:11:16

Puffin editions of The Cricket Term and The Attic Term often come up on Abe Books for £3-4.

My best ever find was The Marlows and the Traitor in a second-hand bookshop in Sherborne for £2!

TarquinGyrfalcon Mon 02-May-16 16:03:55

Orlanda I like to claim my copies of AF are my backup fund, to be sold in an emergency - the truth is (natch) you'd have to prise them out of my cold dead hands.
They have a dedicated shelf in my study and DH refers to them (Gollum Style) as the precious books

OrlandaFuriosa Mon 02-May-16 20:54:38

Ha... Like that. I'm starting a runaway fund like Jessica Mitford and I think mine will be part of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now