Talk

Advanced search

Discworld for Children?? what age please?

(12 Posts)
TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Sun 21-Feb-16 12:38:44

As a family we've really enjoyed the Discworld boardgame, and so dd1 would like to have a crack at a Discworld novel.

I'm not sure what ages they are aimed at though. She's 8, nearly nine, probably reads on age or slightly older - she's just finished the last Harry Potters and likes the Hetty Feather type Jacqueline Wilson books. Can anyone advise please?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 21-Feb-16 12:43:24

I started reading disc world at 12yo. They are adult books as opposed to Harry Potter which were written as children's books. I don't think a 9yo would understand a lot of it. I believe that Pratchett wrote some children's books,,,,,,Diggers?? truckers??? Never read them but they might be worth looking at.

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Sun 21-Feb-16 12:47:45

sorry, should have been clearer - I think there are some marketed specifically as "young adult" novels , although I might be wrong...

Agree that the others would need to wait a while - I think I was in year 9 when I discovered them.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 21-Feb-16 12:51:15

Ive read Wee Free Men and Hatful of sky which are labelled as young adult, I still reckon you'd need to be about 12yo to appreciate them.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 21-Feb-16 12:51:27

Think a lot of the references in Discworld would go over a 9 yr olds head, but I wouldn't stop DS (also 9) reading one if he picked them up.

I would recommend Diana Wynne Jones if your DD likes magic etc. Charmed Life is a good one to start on.

NotDavidTennant Sun 21-Feb-16 13:02:31

The Tiffany Aching series (first book: The Wee Free Men) is set in the Discworld but aimed at younger readers. My guess is that 9 years old may be a little young for them, but perhaps try reading the first one yourself to get an idea.

tabulahrasa Sun 21-Feb-16 13:13:27

They're adult in that they are aimed at adults and the jokes and references will go over most children's heads, even the YA ones - but, there's nothing in them that is of an adult nature as in sex or violence.

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Sun 21-Feb-16 13:14:36

Fair enough grin

I'll maybe divert her towards the Truckers stuff to get a feel for his style, and we'll save the younger Discworld ones for a bit.

caroldecker Sun 21-Feb-16 13:14:46

From memory Tiffany is 9 in the first book, so she would probably enjoy. She is a little older in the later books and an adult in his last ever book. But she aged as they were published (if that makes sense) so readers would have aged with her.

mrsmortis Tue 23-Feb-16 11:58:16

My DD1 (7) and I have been reading Wee Free Men together but it's hard work from a comprehension perspective. I have to explain alot of the concepts to her. The good news is that she really likes how sensible Tiffany is. And thinks Miss Tick is just silly.

imnotalpharius Tue 23-Feb-16 12:02:49

As well as the Bromeliad trilogy there is also the Johnny series, I think it starts with Only you can save mankind. They're good. There is The Carpet People as well which I loved as a child and still do. The best Discworld would probably be Maurice and his educated Rodents.

CMOTDibbler Tue 23-Feb-16 12:07:26

Ds enjoyed the Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers etc) at 8, and has enjoyed the WeeFree Men and Hat full of sky since.

He's liked listening to Tony Robinson reading the others, but hasn't read them as yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now