Talk

Advanced search

Audiobooks etc for falling asleep

(7 Posts)
CrieffBobsledTeam Thu 18-Feb-16 12:43:09

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I really wasn't sure what category it would fall into.

DD2 (10) has always had sleep issues, insomnia and so on and falls asleep better to sound - music, story etc. Last year on a sleepover with a friend she discovered Christiane Kerr guided meditations for children and they have been brilliant for over 6 months but suddenly one day last week she decided she'd had enough because she "knows everything that she's going to say". As an interim measure she's been listening to Winnie the Pooh but I don't feel this will cut it for very long and also I'd much prefer to find something specifically designed for sleep like the Christiane, or at least conducive to sleep, as many stories are variable in volume and excitement level. She doesn't force herself stay awake to listen to the end or anything like that, I'd just love to find something that gradually lulls in the right direction. Also, on the odd occasion when she wakes in the night and restarts it we can hear it through the wall so it would be helpful to us to have something soothing!

Any recommendations gratefully received, we have Audible but can do other downloads etc if necessary (I'd prefer not CDs as we only have one working CD player at present & it's not very portable!)

Verbena37 Fri 19-Feb-16 00:41:37

David walliams or Michael Morpurgo?

NewYearSameMe Fri 19-Feb-16 00:50:13

I tried the Bedtime Meditations for Kids with DS and he did get bored with it as your DD has. I tried audio books after that but that didn't work very well as he kept himself awake to follow the story. Plus, if he fell asleep, he would get upset because he couldn't find his place again when he next listened.

Perhaps a white noise app might work better, something like distant storms, waves on a beach or jungle noises.

CrieffBobsledTeam Sat 20-Feb-16 19:39:32

Oh, that's an idea NewYear, I might see what she thinks of that.
Thanks also Verbena, that's something to bear in mind too - she loves Michael Morpurgo and has read most of them so they might be interesting enough but not too exciting to fall asleep!!

DrSeussRevived Tue 23-Feb-16 00:47:35

Agatha Christie novels?

mrsmortis Tue 23-Feb-16 11:55:10

I grew up in a house with Radio 4 on all the time. I like to sleep to a background noise of people sleeping because of it. But I don't actually need to be able to make out what they are saying. Is that they case with your DD? If it is then radio 4 / 4 extra on really quietly may be enough...

CrieffBobsledTeam Fri 26-Feb-16 10:45:01

DrSeuss I don't think she's ready for Agatha Christie, but it has made me think that's a whole new selection to open up to DD1 who will love to read them!

mrsmortis not sure if she needs to hear the words - I certainly do, drives me barmy if I can't, but DH does a similar thing if he's on his own eg during the day. I think the main issue is she always brings this problem up at bedtime and she's not very reasonable when tired! We need to sit down this weekend and talk about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now