Talk

Advanced search

Repetitive Books for a 3 year old

(20 Posts)
snorepatrol Sat 13-Feb-16 01:16:46

I was wondering if anyone could think of any repetitive books that would be suitable for a child around 3 years old.

My dd has speech delay and cannot put a sentence together but since we discovered a time telling book she can repeat the full sentences back to me so I'm looking for a few more books that are similar to this book before she gets bored of it.

The book basically says 'whats the time mummy? Is it 1, 2, 3 ,4....' (it goes all the way up to 12 then the mummy says its X o clock time for x activity) so I'm looking for something that simple and repetitive.

Thanks for any suggestions

mrsmortis Sat 13-Feb-16 10:24:57

It's not as repetitive as the book you talk about but Owl babies might work.

Whenever the owl babies say something the two oldest say something relevant and then the youngest says "I want my Mummy" My DD used to let me read the rest but that was always her line...

IHeartKingThistle Sat 13-Feb-16 10:26:26

Peace at Last?

ouryve Sat 13-Feb-16 10:27:53

Duck in a Truck ... Stuck in the muck!

Both of mine have loved this band its repetitive rhyme at some point.

SitsOnFence Sat 13-Feb-16 10:33:10

What the Ladybird Heard has a repetitive section that the DC used to chant along to. Dear Zoo has the same 2 sentences repeated on most pages ("so they sent me a.." and "I sent him back")

I'm not sure if these are what you have in mind though? I'll look through the DC's bookcases...

VocationalGoat Sat 13-Feb-16 10:36:46

Dear Zoo
Goodnight Moon
10 Little Monkeys (jumping on the bed)

Fugghetaboutit Sat 13-Feb-16 10:39:05

We're going on a bear hunt!!

Bisghetti Sat 13-Feb-16 10:40:34

At that age my ds (who has ASD, although didn't have delayed speech) loved Green Eggs and Ham, which has longer stretches of repetitive text that build over the course of the book. He used to recite it all the time at 3.5.

SitsOnFence Sat 13-Feb-16 10:44:33

Not much else on the DC's bookshelves.

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy has repeating decsriptions for the dogs (e.g. if I say "Bottomley Potts" my DC automatically say "covered in spots") Possibly too wordy though.

Room on the Broom, like What the Ladybird Heard, has repeating passages ("down! Cried the witch, and they flew to the ground. They search for the X but no X could be found"). Again, possibly too wordy.

One Mole Digging a Hole, despite not having repeating passages, might be worth a try as it has few words and a very simple format that remains the same throughout the book. "One mole digging a hole" / "two snakes with garden rakes" / etc. My DC both loved it at 3 and couldn't help but join in.

Hesalovernotabiter Sat 13-Feb-16 10:44:35

The Princess and the Wizard by Julia Donaldson.

Hairy McClary from Donaldson's Dairy.

VocationalGoat Sat 13-Feb-16 10:55:26

The Smartest Giant in Town
Superworm

Hear, hear to Going on a Bear Hunt and
Hairy Maclarey!

VocationalGoat Sat 13-Feb-16 10:58:00

And also:

The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss

Go, Dog. Go! By P.D. Eastman (fabulous! I grew up with it. My kids as well. The drawings are great!)

WhirlwindHugs Sat 13-Feb-16 11:11:30

Berenstain bears books could be good?

Mine like Bears in the Night, lots of repetiton of directions so has been good for my DS with speech issues.

Also Mr Wolf's Week for days of the week, also good for describing pictures.

WhirlwindHugs Sat 13-Feb-16 11:20:30

Check with your SALT but I found DS would get stuck on a few books - one book he wanted every day for a year! I didn't feel this was really helping his speech that much. So I go to the library very regularly (ours is small but has a fantastic variety of picture books and I can always find a few relating to the vocab we'd like to cover) and he can have one old favourite but he has to have a new book every night too.

WhirlwindHugs Sat 13-Feb-16 11:22:48

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/9888240560/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1455362474&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=we+love+each+other

We love each other, shapes, animals, families.

snorepatrol Sun 14-Feb-16 01:25:57

Thank you all for your suggestions I'm just about to look them all up on Amazon.
Whirlwindhugs the library idea is really good idea too so we'll have a trip to our local library on Monday and see what we can get

madwomanbackintheattic Sun 14-Feb-16 01:35:10

Anything by Julia Donaldson tbh.
All of the Hairy Maclary/ Slinky Malinki books.
Our absolute fave was Room on the Broom. They all knew it off by heart. grin (but Duck in the Truck et al were all much loved)
Honestly op, there are billions and billions of these.

Squash and a squeeze (ours are all teens now and if it's a bit crowded in the house, dh and I still say 'take in your cow'. grin 'take in my cow?!'

NewYearsAoibhe Sun 14-Feb-16 04:39:30

Monkey and Me by Emily Gravett. Very simple repetitive text, but lots of fun and mischief in the pictures.

plannedshock Sun 14-Feb-16 05:07:55

Was just coming on to say "monkey and me"

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Feb-16 05:15:56

Also came on to say Monkey and Me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now