Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

suitable books for v confident 5yr reader

(17 Posts)
sensesensibility Tue 26-Jan-16 14:59:27

My 5 1/2 yr old DS is a very confident reader - reading age around 8yrs. However, I'm struggling to find books for him because he's quite young emotionally and most books suitable for his reading level have themes too old for him. He's enjoyed loads of Enid Blyton and Horrid Henry but any suggestions would be great - thanks.

Hillfog Tue 26-Jan-16 15:01:49

Jeremy Strong books are good for that age and funny.

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Tue 26-Jan-16 15:05:23

My 5 year old loves Roald Dahl.

mrsjskelton Tue 26-Jan-16 15:17:43

What about non-fiction? Star Wars, Lego, super heroes etc? Some confident boys in my Year 1 class love that genre because they aren't exclusive to an emotional age and all depend on their technical reading ability. Some are harder than others so it would just be a matter of checking what he can manage by taking a trip to Smiths smile

sensesensibility Tue 26-Jan-16 15:34:39

he loves maps and puzzle books so the lego idea could be good - thanks mrsjskelton. He's not into superheroes and is scared of star wars or any 'mild peril'! Roald Dahl we've gone through, apart from BFG and The Witches (he's a 'sensitive' child so he'll probably be in his teens before we get to them!)

DesertOrDessert Tue 26-Jan-16 15:40:27

Not a reading book, but to s is on my wish list for the kids

Would he like how to train your Dragon?

Sadik Tue 26-Jan-16 15:49:15

Dick King Smith's books are lovely - the Sophie series in particular is excellent (she's a little girl who wants to be a farmer, no peril, just lots of plotting to achieve her aim)
Would things like Cows in Action or Astrosaurs appeal? I don't think they'd be any more 'grown up' than Enid Blyton.
Otherwise, old favourites - things like Professor Branestawm, Danny the Fox, the Wombles chapter books, Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf - tend to be younger in tone for a given reading level than more modern books, I'd say. (I've found I can get old childrens books very easily for pennies on Abebooks)

SansaClegane Tue 26-Jan-16 16:11:32

Have you discovered Beast Quest / Sea Quest yet? My DS1 used to love them a year ago when he was 5 and there are billions lots of them, and despite being literary junk food a bit repetitive he really enjoyed them.

sensesensibility Tue 26-Jan-16 16:41:20

that map book looks lovely desert - think I'll save that for his birthday in May. I've not heard of the Cows in action or Astrosaurs, but we're keen on dinosaurs and space so def give that a try - thanks Sadik. I've dug out all my old books, have been reading him Little house on the prairie at bedtime as I think unlikely to appeal much to him when older!

evenoldergregg Tue 26-Jan-16 22:44:38

My similar aged daughter has just started The Magic Treehouse series. We've read the first book, about dinosaurs, between us in 2 days. She thoroughly enjoyed it and is looking forward to book 2. There is some very mild peril, which is usually resolved on the same page. Amazons look inside feature will allow you to read the first few pages. She has also recently enjoyed "Iggy and Me", gentle and funny, there shouldn't be much in there to scare him. The maps book is beautiful and huge! We have a copy at home.

emmaMBC Wed 27-Jan-16 10:54:40

Sarah McIntyre and Philip Reeve have a fabulous range of books for this age, like this one.

Just released is Louie in New York - brilliantly funny.

BlueChampagne Wed 27-Jan-16 13:09:40

Space Penguins
Beastly Boys
Dinosaur Cove
Green Smoke
A Necklace of Raindrops
Arabel's Raven
You Me and Thing
Paddington
Olga da Polga

Second Dick King-Smith and Clever Polly

Would say 101 Dalmatians and Charlotte's Web, but maybe not for someone so sensitive.

mrsmortis Wed 27-Jan-16 13:10:17

We had the same problem with my DD. She couldn't manage any peril at all. Even the Faraway Tree books were too much for her. Instead we read a lot of poetry (at her Y1 teachers suggestion). She loved The Night Mail for example. And Please Mrs Butler. It was great for comprehension and vocab but didn't push her emotional security when she was only 5.

Also non fiction, things like the usborne lift the flaps books which are great.

madamehooch Thu 28-Jan-16 08:46:41

A fantastic book for any map lover is 'The Land Of Neverbelieve ' by Norman Messenger

sensesensibility Fri 29-Jan-16 09:54:02

thanks all - fab suggestions. I'm off to the library today with a big bag!

BlueChampagne Fri 29-Jan-16 10:10:02

"The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark" would fit the bill.

JC22334 Mon 07-Mar-16 10:23:23

Try the Clever Tykes books, especially Code-it Cody

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now