Talk

Advanced search

Books for disinterested 5 year old DD

(6 Posts)
Ijustworkhere Thu 21-Jan-16 11:22:36

Hi all,

I'm looking for some recommendations for my DD. She is quite mature for her age, but not very interested in books. I read to her every night but I don't get the sense that she's really interested. She likes to practice her reading, but right now for her identifying the word sounding it out takes priority over understanding the story (which makes me very sad). She can read a whole page and then have no idea what 'happened' in the story. I'm looking for recommendations for something that will maybe hook her interest in the story and help us to get past this. Reading is such an important part of my life, and even her younger brother's life, I feel terribly sad that she's getting so little out of it. She's quite literal, for example she prefers television programmes with cartoon or real life children in, rather than say animals or fantasy settings. Has no interest in princesses/pirates/witches, etc.

Any ideas?

steppemum Thu 21-Jan-16 11:28:17

try non fiction books.
Maybe about different countries?

stories about real people?

BlueChampagne Thu 21-Jan-16 13:19:12

Dick King-Smith's Sophie books might appeal too.

madamehooch Thu 21-Jan-16 16:30:47

I'd try her on the Kes Gray Daisy books but the picture book ones to start with rather than the chapter books .

Ijustworkhere Thu 21-Jan-16 20:05:35

Thank you! Will try the Sophie and Daisy books, they look like possibles! Non fiction and real life stories would definitely work (if for no other reason than that she's a nosy love grin) but I'm finding it hard to find something age appropriate. There are things like the Doring Kindersley (sp?) books while 'children around the world' but they're a bit young. She Loves crafts but instruction books are hard to just read aloud and in any case then just wants to talk about which projects she wants to do next (all of them). grin

madamehooch Thu 21-Jan-16 20:33:23

Try also the Usborne Look Inside series (younger than the 'See Inside ' series.) Fantastic interactive information books with flaps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now