Talk

Advanced search

Books for a 10 month old

(13 Posts)
Ellizardo Wed 20-Jan-16 07:33:25

DS1 loves turning the pages and feeling the textures of 'That's not my banana' etc, plus he's discovered pop-up and flap books which he loves and the bright colours of Meg & Mog... but we've exhausted our supply of these plus the classics (Goodnight Moon, Bear Hunt etc) and wondered - for our own sanity if nothing else - if you have any other recommendations! I am pregnant with DD so hopefully will get good use out of them for some time...

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 20-Jan-16 08:25:47

Pretty much all of Julia Donaldsons books, specifically Gruffalo, Stick Man, Snail and the Whale, Squash and a Sqeeze.

Oliver Jeffer's Lost and Found and Stuck

Hairy Maclary series (lovely short rhyming books about a pack of dogs)

MaisieDotes Wed 20-Jan-16 08:28:53

Peepo - Janet and Allan Ahlberg

just in case you don't already have that one.

Artandco Wed 20-Jan-16 09:50:34

The Peter rabbit books

Paddington bear

Moomins

Elsa beskow books

I go against the grain with Julia Donaldson books. They are everywhere and they hear all the time later at nursery and school, plus people buy as gifts sometimes so you will Be driven mad by the time they are 5.

Mine also liked the where's wally type of book. The where's wally itself are a bit hard for 10 months but there are many of a similar vibe which have no words in but they have to find stuff like a balloon or duck on each page

kate1516 Wed 20-Jan-16 09:58:01

My ds lived a book called wow said the owl. It teaches colours but the pictures are nice.

BlueChampagne Wed 20-Jan-16 13:33:15

Can you see the Red Balloon www.amazon.co.uk/Can-You-See-Red-Balloon/dp/1841487880
An Island in the Sun www.amazon.co.uk/An-Island-Sun-Stella-Blackstone/dp/1782851496
A World of Food www.amazon.co.uk/World-Food-Discover-Magical-Things/dp/1419701622

NeedsAMousekatool Wed 20-Jan-16 13:38:49

Wow Said The Owl is lovely, and there's one from the same people called Hooray For Hoppy which is nice. I like 'Me' by Emma Dodd, and 'I Love My Daddy' by the same. There's also ladybird versions of children's classic stories, 3 little pigs, red riding hood etc with touchy feely bits on the page. They're very abridged so good for short toddler attention spans smile these ones Also similarly Ladybird do This Little Monkey/Pirate/Monster etc which I like.

NeedsAMousekatool Wed 20-Jan-16 13:41:18

Oh and all the Busy books - Busy Zoo, Busy Town etc etc are great lift the flap books.

Ellizardo Wed 20-Jan-16 16:12:32

thanks folks! have made a list and will purchase asap!

gingercat12 Thu 04-Feb-16 17:12:42

DS also loved bath books, especially Mimi's Toes.

LaurieMarlow Fri 12-Feb-16 09:16:14

Bit late to the party, but what really engaged DS at that age (still very young) ...

Where is the green sheep (by far his favourite, generating obsessional love)
Anything by Sandra Boynton, but particularly Moo, Baa, LaLaLa
Anything by Leslie Patricelli
Dear Zoo and the rest of Rod Campbell's oeuvre. Oh Dear is a lovely simple story with great lift the flap action
Anything by Karen Katz

I agree that 10 months is a bit young to get the most out of Julia Donaldson - plenty of time for that later. DS at 18 months loves One Ted and A Squash and a Squeeze though.

Ellizardo Wed 17-Feb-16 18:24:13

Thanks Laurie, all suggestions still welcome, especially as he's approaching his first birthday!

MaggieClarke Fri 19-Feb-16 18:03:05

I'd suggest Evolutionary Tales. My niece is just under 1 and she gets such a kick out of the cute and crazy animals!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now