Talk

Advanced search

Reluctant 13yr DS book help please!!

(7 Posts)
Jackjack Thu 14-Jan-16 10:13:05

Need to encourage DS to read, he did read Alex Rider and lots of Michael Murpergo when in yr 6 but now yr 8 we're struggling to get him to read at all. I've brought him Ronaldo's biography but he's still 'reading' it months later. He's not into sci-fi or space type stuff. He likes football, top gear, fast cars, cricket, bear grills doing disgusting stuff!! Any ideas great fully received!

LeotardoDaVinci Thu 14-Jan-16 10:18:25

Robert Muchamore's Angel books are good - they come as comic-strip books too if that helps.

FWIW my 13 year old has stopped reading too - a combination of too much time on phone/at school/extra curricular activites I think. Hope the interest comes back eventually too.

Jackjack Thu 14-Jan-16 10:53:16

Thanks DaVinci they look good may see if I can pick up a few on eBay.
X

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Thu 14-Jan-16 11:07:30

There is loads of sports manga out there, which is very popular with teenage boys (and an easy read, since it's comics).

Whistle! is about football.

Eyeshield 21 is about American Football.

Slam Dunk is about basketball.

There are also ones about motor sports and such like.

fatowl Thu 14-Jan-16 11:11:11

I'd repost on the adult reading section if I were you. I posted a few weeks ago asking for recommendations for my DD14 who is a reluctant reader and it ran to 3 pages

TheWanderingUterus Thu 14-Jan-16 11:23:46

Willard Price? He wrote excellent adventure stories about a zoologist type and his two teenage sons. Amazon Adventure is the first one and there are fourteen in total. Easy to get into and very exciting, lots of animal information thrown in there.

My brother was a reluctant reader and he loved those. He also devoured the Sharpe novels (Bernard Cornwell) and Biggles. Big male heroes doing big adventuring in an honourable way.

I read them all too. I still remember that if you are grabbed by a crocodile and pulled into the water, then you should try and put your fingers in its eyes before the second tougher eyelid comes down. And shark's noses are very sensitive.

Which is obviously incredibly useful information to have.

Jackjack Thu 14-Jan-16 21:04:56

Thanks All. I've made a few Amazon purchases in the hope that something will catch his imagination. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now