Talk

Advanced search

Historical fiction for 10 year old girl?!

(47 Posts)
Panicmode1 Sun 10-Jan-16 08:20:36

I have a bright, but fairly reluctant reader who has finally stopped reading equine fiction and Enid Blyton repeatedly, and has decided that she really enjoys historical fiction (she read a couple of fictionalised 'diaries of a Victorian maid/Georgian lady type stuff). Can anyone recommend some books that are suitable for her age? I don't really want too much ''bodice ripping'' just yet!

Robertaquimby Sun 10-Jan-16 09:45:04

There is a series called My Story whuch she might like. Fictionalised diaries with interesting themes eg Suffragettes, Titanic.

My dd also enjoyed

Charlotte Sometimes
A Little Princess
Wolves of Willoughby Chase
Rooftoppers

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 10-Jan-16 09:47:47

THe Jacqueline Wilson Hetty Feather series
[http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Executioners-Daughter-Jane-Hardstaff/dp/140526828X the executioner's daughter]]

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 10-Jan-16 09:49:48

link again

akkakk Sun 10-Jan-16 09:58:37

If you can find any Cynthia Harnett they are great with children as the characters...
Alan Garner?
E. Nesbitt

Many old classics are set long ago that they might be seen as historical!

lljkk Sun 10-Jan-16 10:59:35

Cat Royale books.

BanningTheWordNaice Sun 10-Jan-16 11:10:16

I know it's not fiction but I devoured the horrible histories around that age.

elspethmcgillicuddy Sun 10-Jan-16 11:11:26

Laura Ingalls Wilder. I loved this at that age. It really captured my imagination.

There's a book by Jaqueline Wilson called "The Lottiey Project" which she might enjoy. Also my niece liked the Lady Grace Mysteries series at your dd's age, I believe they are set in Elizabethan times.

thegiddylimit Sun 10-Jan-16 11:18:50

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit
The Little House on the Prairie series
(both fictionalised accounts of the authors childhood)
Carrie's War
The Machine Gunners
(my two favourite war stories)
Tom's Midnight Garden (fantastic timeslip novel)
The Secret Garden
Black Beauty (good follow on from the equine stuff)
Michael Murpurgo (start with War Horse?)
Actually pretty much any children's classic will seem pretty historical to a DC these days and will have language and plotting that will be challenging and stretching without inappropriate plots for a 10 year old. There's no need to move onto trashy 'teen fiction' which may have more grown up topics but is not more complex from a literary viewpoint.

buffymum Sun 10-Jan-16 11:19:55

Lady Grace Adventures are lovely

merlinalison Sun 10-Jan-16 11:41:28

Lots of good suggestions here
also
Cue for Treason by Geoffrey Trease
A Traveller in time by Alison Uttley
When Marnie was there
Goodnight Mister Tom
A pattern of roses (modern and Edwardian intertwined) by KM Peyton plus her Flambards series
Barbara Willard's Mantlemass series - the first is The Lark and the Laurel.

Georgette Heyer is also generally suitably lacking in bodice-ripping.

TrappedInAWitchesCurse Sun 10-Jan-16 11:45:25

Frost Hollow Hall or The Girl Who Walked on Air by Emma Carroll
All Fall Down by Sally Nicholls

Panicmode1 Sun 10-Jan-16 11:58:56

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions - I have now bought the My Story series for a bargain price on Ebay this morning.

She's read some of the ones suggested e.g. Secret Garden, Tom's Midnight Garden, Charlotte Sometimes, Goodnight Mr Tom, E Nesbitt, but I will look at the other suggestions and that should keep her out of mischief for a while!

I read a lot of Georgette Heyer at about her age too and had forgotten about those, thank you.

Becles Sun 10-Jan-16 12:16:48

I may revisit these a few times over the course of the coming year..

Joan Aitken
Diana Wynne Jones
Leon Garfield
LM Montgomery
Mark Twain
Ross Guy
CS Lewis
Julie Berry

LadyEnglefield Sun 10-Jan-16 18:40:10

My 10 yr old DD loves the Wells & Wong murder mysteries by Robin Stevens.

The first one (Murder Most Unladylike) is set in a boarding school, the second (Arsenic For Tea) is in a country house and number three (First Class Murder) is on the Orient Express.

A cross between Agatha Christie and Malory Towers/St Clares stories but more exciting!

BlueChampagne Tue 12-Jan-16 13:36:25

Goth Girl books have a historical feel, as well as being beautiful things. You could also try Sherlock Holmes and P G Woodhouse.

Don't remember any bodice-ripping in Jean Plaidy either.
Roman Mysteries?

BlueChampagne Tue 12-Jan-16 13:37:36

Children of the New Forest
A Little White Horse

Tokelau Tue 12-Jan-16 13:48:23

My DD loved the my story books too.

You could also try the Roman mysteries and the Lady Grace mysteries.

One of my DD's favourite books was the diary of a young Tudor lady-in-waiting, and there are others in the same series.

Has she read I am David?

OwlCurrency Tue 12-Jan-16 13:56:58

Anne of Green Gables
Heidi
A Little Princess and The Secret Garden

ohdearlord Tue 12-Jan-16 13:59:21

Northern Lights/His Dark Materials

flyright Tue 12-Jan-16 14:01:00

another vote for Lady Grace - my DD loved them at that age

mrsmortis Tue 12-Jan-16 19:22:15

You could go a bit further back and look at the Eagle of the Ninth etc. I also saw Pride and Prejudice packaged as a YA book the other day.

The Railway Children is a big hit with my DD and I always loved the Secret Garden.

Could you find a version of Anne Frank's Diary or would that be too much for her?

Leeds2 Wed 13-Jan-16 16:13:56

There is a series called My House (or similar), where each one is written by a different author. It deals with who lives in a particular house during a particular period of time. So, one is called Polly's March and deals with the suffragette movement. One of authors is Ann Turnbull, another Linda Newberry.

Panicmode1 Wed 13-Jan-16 17:44:35

Children of the New Forest - I used to LOVE that!

She's read The Railway Children and The Secret Garden. She didn't like Eagle of the Ninth - I adored it, and funnily enough a librarian at the local library heard me recommending it to my son, and said to me "Did you have a classical education?" When I replied that I had and fairly trad prep/public school route she said that children today just don't find it very easy/accessible because they don't learn about Roman history in the same way. My son enjoyed it recently and I don't know whether it's because he's now doing Latin at school!

The Wells and Wong series sounds great, as does the My House set too. I mused about Anne Frank - I may re read it myself first just so I can decide whether she will cope with it.

Again, thank you all so much for your suggestions - I really appreciate the ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now