Recs for 10 Yr old son - who enjoyed Broccoli Boy, Percy Jackson etc

(11 Posts)
stirling Tue 29-Dec-15 18:06:00

Hi,
DS (10) can get totally engrossed into the 'right' books for him, but stubbornly refuses most of the books I pick for him from the library.
He's loved: Percy Jackson (sea of monsters), Broccoli Boy and The Tangshan Tigers series was a huge success.
He's especially struggled with books by Morpurgo, Wonder, Lemony Snicket...

All suggestions gratefully received! Thank you smile

tribpot Tue 29-Dec-15 18:09:25

Rick Riordan has just started his next series, set in the same world as Percy Jackson - Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer. He's also done the Kane Chronicles, three books based around Egyptian mythology, likewise same world.

We've just finished reading The History Keepers trilogy, ds enjoyed that. Ds has quite enjoyed the graphic novels of the first Alex Rider books, and Artemis Fowl.

RoseDog Tue 29-Dec-15 18:11:07

My ds 10 is addicted to the Tom Gates books at the moment.

Quietattheback Tue 29-Dec-15 18:14:18

Terry Pratchett has various children's books; the Johnny series, Truckers etc.

stirling Tue 29-Dec-15 18:25:48

Ok brilliant, thanks - writing your suggestions down

tribpot Tue 29-Dec-15 20:17:17

I've just been having a Twitter chat with some authors - the way you sort of randomly do. This was off the back of saying I have just bought Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce (Broccoli Boy author) as I listened to a podcast with authors Matt Brown and Joanna Nadin where they talked about how fantastic the opening page is (and it really is).

Jo Nadin then recommended Cowgirl by G R Gemin. I have to say it doesn't really look like my ds' cup of tea but thought I would throw it in there!

stirling Wed 30-Dec-15 18:18:46

Thanks tribpot!

Washediris Fri 01-Jan-16 18:33:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emmaMBC Mon 04-Jan-16 12:21:06

Try The Accidental Prime Minister, plus Ophelia and the Marvellous Boy.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 08-Jan-16 18:10:17

Anthony Horowitz has some brilliant books. Ds(9) is totally addicted after finishing all the Rick Riordan books and hitting a book slump.

notmynameohno Sat 09-Jan-16 14:28:45

Dark Lord series - humorous
Infinity Drake
Young Samurai

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now