Talk

Advanced search

Thesaurus or dictionary

(4 Posts)
keely79 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:56:11

Hello

Looking to get a thesaurus or dictionary to assist DD (6) with her reading. She is in Year 1. She is reading really well and has moved on to full length chapter books - at the moment it's The Midnight Fox by Betsy Byars.

While she can decode the majority of the words, she does have quite a few words where (understandably) she doesn't really understand what they mean (for example, laxity, galvanised, unconcerned). Of course, we can give her explanations as we go along, but was thinking that it might be good for her to look the words up in a dictionary or thesaurus so that (a) she's learning research skills and (b) the meaning is more likely to "go in".

So - can anyone recommend a good thesaurus or dictionary with a reasonable range of vocabulary but that won't be completely impenetrable for her?

mrsmortis Wed 09-Dec-15 17:10:50

My DD has the Collins Junior Illustrated Dictionary.

It's good enough for most things as long as your child isn't really focused on an obscure topic (Like DD is with the solar system - which needs an online dictionary to support)

OldBeanbagz Mon 14-Dec-15 07:55:54

My DC have the Oxford Children's Dictionary and matching thesaurus. It's what they used in school too.

Kipsy Sat 19-Dec-15 16:47:32

We just bought the Oxford School Dictionary and Thesaurus - combined into one book. I think it's a good size/level for a 6 year old.

www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-School-Dictionary-Thesaurus/dp/0192756915/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450543630&sr=8-2&keywords=oxford+school+dictionary+and+thesaurus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now