Talk

Advanced search

New series for 10 year old DS?

(16 Posts)
MidnightVelvetthe4th Mon 07-Dec-15 11:14:35

I'm a bit stuck & I always buy him a set of books for Christmas. I've been meandering around on The Book People site this morning but nothing springs out....

He likes Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Tolkein, Asterix...

Do you think the James Herriot books are a bit old for him?

schmalex Mon 07-Dec-15 12:07:41

Has he read the Skulduggery Pleasant books?

MidnightVelvetthe4th Mon 07-Dec-15 12:29:16

Thanks schmalex, will try those smile

mrsmortis Tue 08-Dec-15 11:35:15

Instead of James Herriott, you could start with Gerald Durrell (My Family and Other Animals, etc.). Because they start when he is a child it may be easier to get into.

If he likes HP and Percy Jackson then you might want to have a look at books by Garth Nix too. The Seventh Tower or the series that starts with Mr Monday.

OldBeanbagz Tue 08-Dec-15 11:37:40

I've just bought my 10yo DS this Bear Grylls pack from Lowplex.

Preminstreltension Tue 08-Dec-15 14:16:25

Lionboy - three book series starring a boy aged, probably 10, who can speak cat language and has to rescue his parents, overthrow a dictator, tackle an international corporate conspiracy.... Exciting adventure with some magical elements.

Eroica Tue 08-Dec-15 14:18:37

Horowitz's Stormbreaker?

MidnightVelvetthe4th Tue 08-Dec-15 14:25:34

Thanks, have bought the first 3 Skulduggery Pleasant & will look at these others smile

RalphSteadmansEye Wed 09-Dec-15 09:20:08

Has he read all of Rick Riordan's or just the Percy Jacksons? Because he has another (shorter) series about Egyptian gods called The Kane Chronicles. Most of the kids I know like them even more than PJ.

feetheart Wed 09-Dec-15 09:24:02

DD read the James Herriot series at about that age and LOVED them.
Didn't put her off wanting to be a vet, in fact she then wanted to be a country vet smile

Leeds2 Thu 10-Dec-15 16:37:49

Fire Djinn and Sea Djinn by Linda Davies. There may be more in the series.

lotsoffunandgames Mon 14-Dec-15 18:44:25

The Charlie bone series are excellent.David Williams too.

lotsoffunandgames Mon 14-Dec-15 19:48:47

Spell checker doh! Walliams!

thesoupdragon44 Mon 14-Dec-15 21:21:23

My 10 year old boy has been reading the Urban Outlaws books, there are currently 3 in the series and he is on book 2 he thinks they are awesome. They are a mix of modern famous five meets robin hood (his words) they are about a group of kids, all homeless and tells of how they are trying to hack into computers, stealing money to perform RAK (random acts of kindness) they are great adventure books and he recommends them! Also the Moone boy books are great and very funny!

BlueChampagne Tue 15-Dec-15 12:44:08

A Wizard of Earthsea
The Dark is Rising
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
The Box of Delights

iklboo Tue 15-Dec-15 13:03:40

Fangs - Vampire Spy are good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now