Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone subscribe to First News?

(10 Posts)
stoopstofolly Mon 09-Nov-15 12:39:14

I'm thinking about it as a gift for DD who is 10 shortly. Is it a bit worthy or fun? At 10 is she a bit old? She's a very good, confident reader.
Thanks!

exexpat Mon 09-Nov-15 12:45:25

At 10 it's probably good for another year or so - we had it for years, from when DC1 was about 8, until DC2 was 11. Have you bought any copies for her to read already?

stoopstofolly Mon 09-Nov-15 13:56:07

I might do that first- I've just been asked for a present list and I'm really short of good ideas!

Leeds2 Mon 09-Nov-15 18:36:39

We have it in the primary school library where I volunteer. It is most popular with Years 4 and 5, but still looked at by Year 6s. They like the news about bands, and animals! Some read world news, but not that popular. They also like doing the crosswords/puzzles.

My DD is too old for that now, but at 10 she would've loved getting her own post every day.

Children's National Geographic is also good, if she is interested in that sort of thing.

Greenleave Thu 12-Nov-15 17:52:09

Yes we do and they are great, my daughter loves them

Allthatnonsense Fri 13-Nov-15 20:40:16

Your DD is the right age for it and it is excellent.
I'm going to cancel my subscription as the novelty has worn off after 6 months.

antimatter Fri 13-Nov-15 20:46:50

My kids had it for at least 2 years. My dd said she didn't realise that t was quite right wing.
It made them aware of current news and over all they read it every week andwere looking forward to receive it.

WoodHeaven Fri 13-Nov-15 21:07:56

I got a subscription last christmas for dc1. dc1 was 11yo (Y6). He asked to have it again this Christmas so I don't think that it's just for young children.

His interest is very much about all the world news (I'm guessing that younger children would overlook that)

blueshoes Fri 13-Nov-15 21:30:44

My dd 12 and ds 9 read First News - or at least I make them.

Has anyone tried Junior Week? It is the children's version of The Week magazine.

bigbutsrus1 Mon 14-Dec-15 23:12:41

We get Junior week and I am really impressed with it. My 8 DD dips in and out and is kept interested by the catchy small news snippets and coloured pictures. Content is very good especially with what is going on in the world at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now